Do you like this painting ?

• Vivian
    3 days ago

I love that framing.

It gives the impression of a snapshot taken by an onlooker at a nearby table. But this impression is deceptive because, in fact, the real life effect is carefully contrived. The picture was painted in the studio and not in the cafe.

Degas asked people he knew to pose for the figures: Ellen André was an actress, and an artist's model; Marcellin Desboutin was an engraver and artist. The painting cast a slur on their reputations and Degas had to state publicly that they were not alcoholics.The off-centre framing, introducing empty spaces and slicing off the man's pipe and hand, was inspired by Japanese prints, but Degas uses it here to produce a drunken slewing. The presence of the shadow of the two figures painted as a silhouette reflected in the long mirror behind them is also expressive and significant.

• 1 week ago

I think I like it, if I could do better I'd attach it

No, I could do better when I was 5 years old. The composition is poor, and the technique is infantile. Impressionism makes no sense at all. I read biographies of Vincent van Gogh when I was in high school. He was excited by Impressionism and knew it was flawed. He tried to make it a style worthy to hang in museums. 

it's nice, but it doesn't give me anything special.

IIE mean NO at Japan. It have poor composition and technique. Already see snafu have poor taste. He love such poor paintings. 

• Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, some will like it, some will not. It's a nice painting, proportionately nice, well done. I'm more of a landscape/ seascape person, but I do like pretty much anything artistic, not fond of Picasso's work or others like it, not much into abstract. 

No, it looks as if a child painted it. Snafu should have some babies paint pictures for him to cover the walls of his home. Salvador Dali says Impressionism is a poor solution to a non-existent problem. Such people as snafu will never comprehend Fine Art. 

Always remember that absinthe makes the tart grow fonder.

• Yes, it's imperial.