New apt has cable how do I get wifi?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • ron h
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

talk to your apt manager.  The apt may OR MAY NOT provide internet service.  Ask the manager before you buy anything, but you MAY need to start paying for internet service with the cable company. ASK THE MANAGER

• Eric
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

Speak to your cable provider. If they provide cable internet along with cable TV service, as your question is vague, they will usually provide a modem and/or router. These often have wifi built in. If they do not, you can purchase a separate wifi router or access point.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Whoever the cable company is should provide you with a modem and router. 

Check with the property manager or landlord.

• 1 month ago

Knock on the door of your neighbor and ask how they got it.  Depending on the situation, they might even be willing to share their connection with you, and split the cost.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

With no clues what "apt"  (do you mean apartment?) and "cable" (some coax coming out of the wall?) for possible cable TV, then you must get service from some Internet provider like Verizon, AT&T, many others for a monthly charge.  And like others say, you must buy either a combo modem/router with wireless or two pieces to do Wifi in your apartment for any computers, and your phone for data from it, maybe a smart TV too.

If you have a smart phone that you pay for voice, text and unlimited data, you can use it as a Wifi hotspot.  Then you can link a laptop by Wifi to the smart phone to get Internet.  Some phones can link by wire out the bottom to USB port on the laptop.  If you have a desktop, a few have wireless inside.  If yours doesn't, then you can buy a cheap wireless USB dongle to connect that way if you want.

No sense buying phone charges for data to use while home AND buying cable Internet also.  Up to you though.

Through a smart phone you can also get TV channels that are networks like Netflix, Discovery, USA, etc off your phone and send them through screen casting to an HDTV or a computer screen.  No sense paying for cable TV and smart phone data charges unless you like to pay that much.  Also, in some big city areas you can use an antenna (shaped like a flat square plate) for HDTV over the air.  That gets you the major networks and some local stations.

I have used most of those options at times, but I have very limited data from my smart phone account, so I have Internet cable and satellite TV.

• 1 month ago

hook a wifi router to your modem

• 1 month ago

Cable TV does not provide Internet access.  In need to have the cable company install an Internet modem for you. That will bring Internet access into your house.

Some cable company modems have a wifi router build into them.  Others do not.  If your modem does not have wifi, you will need to purchase a wireless router (about $35-$45).  Attach it with a network cable to a port on your cable modem.  The router will then broadcast a wifi signal for you to use.

• 1 month ago

You need to contact the cable provider and subscribe to an internet service. Then you connect a cable modem and a wifi router, or combination unit to the cable. The unit(s) can be supplied as part of your subscription or, if the provider allows, you can purchase your own hardware. Connection to the service will require you to provide the SSID number from the equipment if you purchased your own to them before it will connect to the internet.

So your first step is to call the provider and find out all the options.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You can get a good, mid-range Netgear wifi router from Target for under $100.00.

• WayneH
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You buy a router with wifi and connect it to the cable.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.