Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

why do some people play mind games all the time with other people?  where you can't even have a normal conversation with them?

how to react to someone like that if you have to be around them a lot? why?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

There are a number of reasons people play mind games, but the goal is usually to gain a sense of control or power over another person. The player wants to get a specific response, but instead of telling you what they need or asking for what they want, they try to get their needs met by using manipulative tactics. It’s all about feeling powerful and in control. Any time we try to use someone else to make ourselves feel better, it usually doesn’t end well. It’s almost impossible to create an authentic connection with someone when honest communication is missing from the picture.

The best thing to do when you realize someone is playing mind games with you is to bless them with love, stop communicating, and move on with your life. Manipulators have poor personal boundaries and don’t have your best interests at heart. They’ve developed negative coping mechanisms and won’t ever change. It can sometimes be difficult to tell the difference between someone who might be a little insecure or socially awkward from a person who is actively trying to manipulate you. Here are some things to look for to help you figure it out.

You feel like you are being judged or compared to other people. A common mind game is to make you believe you don’t measure up. You might hear things like “No one else seems to care about this. Maybe you’re a little paranoid or overthinking.” This behavior is the adult version of peer pressure and is designed to get you to do something you don’t want to do, or feel a certain way about yourself. If a person does this to you, it’s not about you. Their insecurity and need to make you feel less than you are is the real problem. You are a mirror for them, and the way they speak to you is the way their inner self-talk speaks to them. Don’t buy into their criticism.

You are often told that your version of events or a conversation is wrong, and it makes you question your sanity. Perhaps the most nefarious of mind games is called “gaslighting.” Someone who uses this manipulative tactic might say something, then deny they ever said it, or tell someone their gut feelings are all in their head.

They want you to question reality so you feel off balance. I recently had this done to me and I thought I was losing my mind. If you feel like you’re constantly having to explain yourself or backtrack, you’re probably experiencing this extremely damaging form of psychological abuse.

• 1 month ago

It's a 'game' for them. To see how gullible you are/how much they can get away with. CHALLENGE them. And don't be fobbed off. Insist on an honest answer. They will get tired of being challenged/having to work harder to convince you about their BS.

• 1 month ago

The best thing to do is ignore them.

They may have a mental illness.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.