Am i using my telescope correctly ?

Hi i recently got a celestron omni xlt az 130 with a plossl 25mm Eyepiece. And can can only view the moon or closer objects. The stars or anything else is just a white light or blur. Also im not sure if im using it right or if it was assemble right or its the Eyepiece.  Please assist 

Attachment image

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favourite answer

The Plossl eyepiece is excellent and you have a decent but small scope.

Satterns rings and Jupiters red spot should be decent viewing but maybe a higher power eyepiece. Look into a set of those Plossl eyepieces.

Filters can help also.

Far distant stars are only going to be fine points of light. The fuzzy ones may be galaxies.(millions of them)

Your scope is little brother to my XLT140, the one I take out to viewing sites. (well away from light pollution) 2 larger scopes are 8 inch Orion and 300 MM Mead RC for deep space/photography.

A secret is resolution, light gathering,coma rejection.

Greater F/D ratio-better resolution. Extender tubes can help with that.

Greater aperture is greater light gathering.

Good compound optics help reduce coma.(like Plossl made in Japan)

Stay away from the cheap Chinese junk stuff.

• 1 month ago

Are you controlling the focus properly?  A 130mm telescope is not going to give you Hubble quality views; Celestron is a good company making worthy telescopes, but 13 cm = 4.7 inches approximately.  Sky & Telescope magazine has a well written file on its website designed to help those new to telescopes and I highly recommend you consult it.  Also, if there is an astronomy club, planetarium, or college astronomy department near you, there is bound to be an experienced person willing to help you.

• 1 month ago

Focus is exactly the same for the moon, planets and stars, they're all effectively at infinity to a telescope. Skies in cities are full of light pollution making it hard to see much. You might start with the middle star of Orion's belt (it's actually a galaxy!), 'stars' in the east just before sunrise, some of which are planets and you will see as disks rather than points, similarly look for planets just after sunset in the west. Never look through the telescope at the sun, it *will* cause permanent eye damage. Get eyepieces of different magnifications if you don't already have them. Your telescope needs to be left outside for maybe 45 minutes before use for the condensation that forms to dry. Google beginners astronomy, you will find many hints. And if you live in a city (or suburbs), don't miss any opportunity to take your telescope to the country, you will be amazed at the night skies. Stars, of which there are a number of nice to look at clusters and galaxies, are best viewed on moonless nights.

• Tom
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You can't see the disks of stars anyway with a small telescope---as they are "point sources" of light, and look like 'blurs" anyway in the Telescope.----Even planets look like  disappointingly small "pinheads"----but you CAN see a DISK---and more with greater magnification----But do not over do it---You will see NO more than at 150 power or so----you can still make the image bigger, but you will also magnify the "fuzz"-----From the light passing through the atmosphere.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • cosmo
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You should be able to get an excellent view of the Moon in good focus --- it should look great like this.  If so, the telescope is working.  For other stuff, you need to get to a dark site.

Attachment image
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.