Isn't it better to leave your car unlocked if you don't have any valuable or personal items inside so thieves won't break the windows?

I just realized this: I don't have any valuable items laying around in my car. So when I park it, isn't it better to leave it unlocked so thieves could actually see there's nothing of value inside without breaking a window?

• zipper

NO! People get in and use the lighter to light their joints, and leave the ash in the vehicle or worse start the seat on firer. If left unlocked the insurance in many states does not have to pay for this damage, you invited it by not locking the car!

Kinda inviting people to see that you’re an easy target to at least open the door and check every so often. 

You like strangers peeing on the upholstery, or how about a bucket of paint?  No radio in that dashboard?  No problem.  Spare tire and jack in trunk, air cleaner, spark plugs under hood?  No?  I guess this is not a driving vehicle.

• garry

unlocked if you dont claim insurance , i can explain it , its unlocked so they wont steal anything , except the car itself , insurance wont pay if you leave it unlocked , it comes under the rule safe and secure . that means a locked and mechanicly safe car ..

Your insurance may not pay you if your car is stolen or damaged, if you don't lock it. Check your policy. If you do not keep the safeguards in place, they can deny any claim with some policies. 

Most thieves that break windows don't check to see it the door is unlocked first.

I never locked my convertibles.  Too easy for someone with a box cutter to go in through the roof.  But like you, I never left anything sitting there to tempt people.

Always lock it - most newer cars have some sort of anti-theft protection that activates when it's locked - and while it's unlikely that your insurance company will find out, the police won't be amused when they ask if it was locked and you tell them it wasn't.  AND . . . even if you leave it open, some thieves enjoy trashing your car . . . . I didn't keep my convertible locked in our underground garage on the theory that a thief could cut their way in - and the car was covered.  Wrong - all they wanted was the stereo  (worth about $200) but they destroyed the cover,  seats, dash panel, console & door panels just for the fun of it.

What if they want to steal your car? You would be making it easier for them.

In my area, thieves are looking only for unlocked cars in which idiots have left valuables, money, guns, and electronics.

No, they don't usually just break windows it's when they've seen something. They don't break the window and then search it, they don't want to be there long. The answer is don't leave things on display and lock.