Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

Does it irritate you when people say that British/American soldiers during World War II fought "for freedom" and "against fascism"?

There must have been a few who felt that way but the vast majority fought out of a simple sense of patriotism or because they were conscripted. Quite a few would have held similar beliefs to their enemies as such ideologies were more popular in Britain and America than many realise. They certainly did not fight to see their countries turned into the racially mixed, degenerate societies that they are today. They would most likely be turning in their graves at the sight of the West today, given the prevailing attitudes towards race, race mixing, homosexuality etc at the time.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Jas B
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Oh boy another right winger trying to justify fascism.

• 1 month ago

I am going to so no, because fascist movements in both the US and UK only ever attracted a few nutters. If Brits liked fascism, then Mosely would have been PM. If Americans liked fascism, then Pelley would have been President instead of a joke. Pelley got all of about 2000 votes in the 1936 election. This is not reconcilable with your idea that the extreme right was something other than the lunatic fringe in the US in those days. 

Do you really think there were no gay people in London or New York  in 1939? Obviously, even Hitler was pro-gay at one time, or else he never would have hired Rhoem. 

Obviously, men like the Bevin Boys did what they did because they wanted to do the right thing. Those guys were definitely not into King and Country. A lot of them were very well educated, so they presumably could have gotten a desk job as part of the war effort. Instead they went to the coal face instead of the front. I have just as much respect for them as the men who went into combat. 

Why did organizations like the Bevin Boys and Land Girls even exist?-because even men in reserved occupations were eager to enlist. At least some of them must have been motivated by their ideals. 

• Tina
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Bit of an idiot aren't you?

• 1 month ago

What a load of nonsense you spout. 

There is a reason that English speaking people dominated the 20th Century

A History of the English-Speaking Peoples Since 1900 

by Andrew Roberts (Author)

"Yet the coming century was to belong to the English-speaking peoples, who successively and successfully fought the Kaiser's Germany, Axis aggression and Soviet Communism, and who are now struggling against Islamic fundamentalist terrorism. Andrew Roberts's History proves especially invaluable as the United States today looks to other parts of the English-speaking world as its best, closest and most dependable allies."

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Marli
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

How is this a "Books and Authors" question, and how do you know what the "Greatest Generation" thought about non-whites in their countries.  Some of those soldiers were Blacks, Native Americans, Jews, Arabs,  Eastern Europeans and other American citizens whose ancestors came from "non WASP" lands from British Empire countries like India/Pakistan and the Trans-Jordan..

The Whites may not have fought for the Non-Whites, but they fought for what everyone wanted, to live their lives without fear.  Why do you think immigrants come to North America?  The climate can be terrible to people who did not grow up with the cold. Our lakes are polluted. Our cities are less overcrowded that "back home" but they are overcrowded.

• It does irritate me greatly.

What you have written here was more or less what my father used to say towards the end of his life. He served in WW2 because he was conscripted, because he had to. He did not fight for any high-flown ideals, whether championed by the politicians of the time, or invented by later generations with a need to rewrite history to fit their agenda.In his last years he even wondered if the right side 'won' the war. He loved to provoke the indignation of false patriots by saying that though the Nazis lost, the Germans won .... or was it the other way round ?He died in 1992, and the world was pretty far-gone by then. I dread to think what he would have made of the present.

• Ludwig
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

My grandfather would have been much more sympathetic to the Germans in the second world war, if they hadn't shelled and gassed him so much in the First World War.   A lot of other British people had similar thoughts.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

So you are claiming that most Brits and Americans were Nazis?

• 1 month ago

I think anyone who claims those who died in war would support what they think, or who uses war dead in the sense of "this isn't what they fought and died for", irrespective of what they're trying to support, is a disingenuous idiot.

Since you wrote 

"They certainly did not fight to see their countries turned into the racially mixed, degenerate societies that they are today. They would most likely be turning in their graves at the sight of the West today, given the prevailing attitudes towards race, race mixing, homosexuality etc at the time."

...it clearly includes you.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

What a load of old crap.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.