Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 1 month ago

Where do hot air balloons go? Do they go to space? What happens to the payload?

Do they fly into space. I lost my birthday balloon cluster with the gorgeous seashell necklace my best friend made for me.

The balloons floated away with the basket 🧺 full of gifts from my best friend.

Will it go to space? Will it ever float gently back down once the balloons deflate?

People have videos of balloons going to space? Some say they float down?

Where will it go? Will the basket be salvageable?

Should I ask NASA or the Air Force to use radar to track it? Will an fighter jet be able to find it and shoot it down? If it falls somewhere remote, will the special operations soldiers go retrieve it and mail it back to me?  If it falls in the ocean will navy seals dive down and get it?

Should I just ask my best friend for another necklace?

Will a nasa astronaut 👩‍🚀 fly up into space to retrieve the balloon? Will an astronaut walking on the moon retrieve it and and send it back to me?

The balloon may go to the hands of someone who is in need of the gifts.

• D g

Your updates show this is neither a legit question nor a non troll question balloons need air as they rise there is less air 

That means less air to hold the balloon up 

Also since the stuff inside is pushing out and the air outside pushes back 

So as the balloon rises it actually expands in size 

So if the balloon is expanded  fully on the ground level as it rises it gets too big and blows up 

• garry

the ballon goes so high then deflates , it doesnt got into space .

The highest hot air balloon flight on record went to an altitude of 22,000 ft. However, the typical romantic or pleasure flight would fly from treetop level to a few thousand feet, depending on the wind speed and direction.

Source(s): skydrifters

The Air Force and NASA would treat such a request as frivolous at best, and might even get you investigated, since some of your ideas will sound as either harassment or insane.

When the heat source runs out of fuel, hot air balloons simply come to earth wherever they do. The sort of balloons which accompany birthday parties seldom go more then a few hundred feet up, and usually land a few hundred yards away, maybe up to a mile.  So start searching in the direction in which you last saw it going.

The only time that the armed forces etc would attempt to get rid of a hot air balloon from an airspace, or possibly retrieve it, would be if the balloon threatened to disrupt air traffic near an airport.  Machine gun bullets flying around the suburbs would not be a good idea.

Did you not understand, or did not the adults around you not understand, that hot air balloons or any balloons go up 'a bit' and then go where the wind takes them?

Actually, I am not sure that it was a cluster of 'hot air' balloons.  Were they simply gas-filled? Did you have to light small burners to make the balloons fly?

Hot air balloons use fuel to heat the air. When the fuel is gone the balloon comes down.

Gas filled balloons go much higher to the tune of 100.000 feet, 1/3 the way to space.

Your party balloons are sealed, filled with helium.

They only get so high then burst and back to the surface.

They come back to Earth when the fire goes out.  They might be salvageable.

Your balloon will eventually deflate and come back to the ground, like all balloons.  High altitude balloons can get to heights of 100,000 ft (30 km) (Airliners typically flay at 30 - 40,000 ft.) but they eventually deflate and come back to earth.

Balloons won't get to you out of the atmosphere.  As they rise, the outside pressure drops, the internal gas pressure increases, and  the gas in the balloon expands increasing strains on the balloon's material.  As the atmospheric pressure continues to drop with increasing altitude, the internal pressure continues to increase until the strains it is placing on the balloon's material is great enough to cause the material to rupture and let the gas escape.  Then the balloon comes down.  To avoid this, you need very strong materials, which tend to be too heavy to make a balloon.

hot air balloons cool off and fall to earth.

troll....