Have U ever had a roofer say they may find underlying structural problems mid-job, requiring another contractor to repair before continuing ?

I've never heard of this. I see roofers on homes around me who cut out the games, get their butts up there, and just do the work. I'm suspicious that these are excuses by people who just don't want the job, for whatever reason. I suspect it's cause there is no insurance involved. They lose interest when they find out I'm paying out of my own pocket, so they can't milk an insurance company for more work. Reminds me of auto body repair people who always say the same thing. And the insurance company always says OK and writes a check to satisfy the customer and get them their car back. No dickering. 

And I suppose they walk off the job in the mean time, while you call around getting estimates and deciding who the structural contractor will be, which could take days or weeks of full time phone calling and appointments. Never heard of that either in all my life. Jobs get done in 1 or 2 days. And no one has told me they are qualified to do ANY additional work needed, and none of inspected the roof from the inside. Only one even climbed up on the roof and about 10 have come out to look at it. 

a good outfit ( having gotten references,name of the last 3 customers) will carefully examine the job,,sometimes defects in the roof underlayment and supporting joists,the plywood deck,, are not evident until tear down,a good roofer will tell you after a couple hours total cost to  build a new roof,taking pics of the roof condition,using tools to taptap around using cues offered by apparently,mold,,water stains slight sinking of certain areas weathered spots  more than surrounding areas

if the dude was being slick,pay him for his time so far,thanks for your help goodday,, then find someone else, if you  signed a contract,he may use that against you

• garry

roofers yes , rotting beams ,  o poor roof sealers , plenty of problems , after all the roof stops water doesnt it ..

• L

NO.  I have, however, had a roofer who stated if they sheeting is bad - they will replace it.............but they've never stated another contractor would be involved.

• adam

your stupid. It happens . If the roofer finds damage caused by WATER that he isnt qualified to repair. He isnt there to replace trusses you idiot. 

Just because you haven't heard of this doesn't mean much--of course it can exist!! When roofers remove old shingles or shakes, and then see structural problems under them, due to water damage, ice dams or whatever, it's DANGEROUS for them to continue. I doubt very much they don't want the work. It's more likely they don't want to put themselves in major difficulties replacing a roof on an unsound structure. You'd better listen to their issues and do something about it and not try to cheap out on the repairs. 

• Droopy

Sounds like you have a professional.   Any good roofer is gonna warn you that there could be repairs needed once they strip the roof.  Some might bring in a sub to do repairs.  Some might do them selfs.  

If your not told this then the guy doing the job might qoute high to cover extra costs if something is found..  Or might be a jack an shingle over a rotten part.

I work in the trades and it is absolutely normal, routine and common to find stuff you don't know is there, especially when dealing with structures that are older, damaged or have had homeowner repairs done to them.

When you "see roofers on homes" how do you KNOW they did or didn't find underlying issues or warn their customers?

I current work in project management for flooring and if I see something I think might be a sign of an underlying issues, I will always say something.  I want my client to be aware of issues that may come up, including additional expenses.  What I never want to have happen is to open something up, find a HUGE problem and have the customer be blindsided by additional expense and inconvenience of the job taking longer than planned.

Any roofer that DOESN'T say that, and hasn't inspected the underside of the roof, is INCOMPETENT.

Correction: Any contractor that can't do the additional work themself is incompetent.

Update: Whoever said most roofers are not insured for structural work knows SQUAT about insurance or roofing.

That's not uncommon.  However, what you want to do is see the damage, yourself, and ask how much they quote to fix it.  You can do the fix, yourself, or hire a handyman, if their quote is unreasonable.

Yes, roofers often find wood damage underneath the shingles from slow water leaks. Thats why they often have it right in the contract that such issues will cost more.