Is it discriminatory for an employer to state 'no applicants with small children?

unless they are in daycare' in the job ad? This is for a remote administrative position at a speech therapy organization that works with children. 

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

I would word it differently but you know what they want so let it go.

• Lili
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes, it certainly is.  It MIGHT not be illegal, but it is definitely discriminatory. That's what "discriminatory" means: discriminating against a certain group or type.

It should be reported to the EEOC for investigation.

• 1 month ago

It is illegal for prospective employers to advertise in that manner.

• Maybe they had a bad experience with an employee that had small children, with out  day care, and they don't want to have that experience again. They don't want some one that's going to constantly leave work in the middle of the day, to take care of their children. Or to have to call and check up on their kids all the time. 

It's illegal to discriminate against race, sex or religion but I don't think it's illegal to do that. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

I would word it differently but you know what they want so let it go.

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It is in the UK.

• 1 month ago

Any requirement or preference -- any method of selecting applicants that is not completely random -- is discriminatory.  That is what the word means.

But if you're asking whether it is illegal, then the answer is probably not.  Most discrimination is legal, unless it is discrimination against a particular gender, racial or religious group, veterans, national guard members, the disabled, etc.

Discrimination against parents with small children is illegal in housing, except for housing specifically for those who are elderly.

• 1 month ago

sounds like it would be

• 1 month ago

No, you can claim discrimination if it is based on age, race, religion, sexuality or gender. They just want you to actually have time to do the f-ing job.

• GA41
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It is discriminatory, but in the USA it is not illegal.  You cannot discriminate on the basis of sex, race, religion, etc., but I am not aware of any restrictions regarding discriminating on the basis of having children.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.