Why is Bill Nye called "the science guy"? He's never been a scientist, he got his degree, his only degree  in mechanical engineering?

• John

It is t-e-l-e-v-i-s-i-o-n.

Mechanical Engineering is heavy in Physics.

Physics is a Science.

He may have studied Physics to the Masters level but never went for a degree. Lots of people have done that.

• oyubir

1) It is just a show title. And it says "science guy", not "scientist". Afaik there are no formal definition of "science guy" excluding science enthusiasts without science degree

2) He has been hired as scientist. And hold several honoris causa PhD. Sure, those are not real PhD. But are supposed to be exactly what you would expect someone like Bill Nye to hold: PhD awarded by universities who claims that, tho you haven't defended a PhD thesis. your activities prove that you could have, and have proven the same ability as the one proven usually through a PhD defense.

3) Lot of "official" (with quotes, because there is no such thing as official science or scientist. But you know what I mean: people whom you won't dispute their being scientist) scientist hold "mechanical engineer" degrees. In US (not in my country. It varies a lot from one country to another) this is a very large domain, that includes science.

From his former occupations, I surmise that Bill Nye would have hold a degree in rheology, he is was from my country. And nobody would dispute that being science. Of course, some people would argue that since he did not pursued till the PhD, he is not a scientist. But, holding a PhD myself, I can tell you that would be stupidly elitist. I know lot of PhD holder who are no scientist at all. Just former patient enough students. And I know people without a PhD who are. Bill Nye included