Is driving an automatic car easy? ?

I have my first driving lesson coming up, and I am using an automatic car. I am very nervous. Is it easy to drive an automatic car? 

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Learning how to use the steering wheel seems to be a challenge for many.

• 1 month ago

The only thing 'automatic' means is that you don't have to shift gears while you drive - so technically 'yes'.

It has no effect on steering, braking, etc. - other than that you can focus more on it, and less on having to shift gears, work a clutch, etc.

On the other hand, I think everyone should learn how to drive a manual - all of my children have (and will), and if it's up to me, I'll never drive anything but a manual.

• 1 month ago

so easy a cave man can do it

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I drove manual for so long that I forgot how to drive automatic. Really.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Scott
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It's easy to drive ANY car.

• 1 month ago

Easier than a manual transmission.  And it is not the manual transmission that is difficult, it is operating the clutch.  You will have enough things to worry about for your first time driving, so relax and enjoy. (good advice, but difficult to implement when you are nervous)

• CB
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Simple - use right foot only (if left drive car) to accelerate and brake. Using the left foot to brake is FOOLISH you don't need a foot on the accelerator when you are braking. Also left footers tend to drag the brakes when unnecessary making people behind crazy and wearing out the brakes prematurely.

Your instructor will make sure you are comfortable with the controls before putting you out in traffic - no worries, it takes practice to develop some muscle memory but not difficult.If you ever want to drive a manual, left foot braking will make learning a manual like learning to drive all over again.

• 1 month ago

One needs to get used to how an automobile responses first, and then it become fairly easy when the conditions are good. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.