Peugeot 307 Hatchback 2004 Reverse lights not coming up after the replacement of bulb,?

Hello, there I have this issue with my car Peugeot 307 the reverse light stops working after I replaced the bulb, initially the drivers rear reverse light was the one having problem, after the replacement of the bulb which was fine only minute later the lights stops working it only flash by the rear passenger reverse light when you shift the gear to  reverse any  help please. 

Hi all, The reverse light on our 307 SW has stopped working. before this the reverse sensor was also intermittently not working, now neither work. ... Same ocurrence, if bulb is faraway from the socket then reverse sensors work. ... My car were within the buy clutch and a few gear box gasket replacement.

There is more than a bulb to check. 

Somewhere is a switch. 

I don't know where it is on a Peugeot, either on the transmission or the shifter.

There are connectors in the wiring harness itself.

Maybe rodents chewed undercar wiring?

Maybe a fuse is blown.

You need to use a 12 volt test light or a voltmeter and check the continuity of the grounding wire first.

If that is intact and conducting current properly, then start at the battery, tracing the +12 volt supply through the fuse panel, through the switch, and make your way back to the light socket.

Could be wiring damage in the trunk too.

Best is to obtain a proper wiring diagram for the exact car, then use it like a roadmap to find the location of the open circuit.

Been there. 

I had a gf with an early 1990s Peugeot, about 8 years ago, and since there was no more Peugeot presence in the USA, I made contact with Peugeot in Paris, France.  They supplied me with the needed wiring diagrams to repair several electrical problems. 

That Peugeot was a really nice car after I got all the bugs worked out of it.

p.s.  After re-reading your story, I'd be checking that switch carefully.  If it's inside the car being activated by the shifter, it may just need adjustment.  But replacement is more likely on an 18 year old car.

In your older question you mention having a problem with a fuse blowing.  Which CIRCUIT does the fuse protect??

• garry

have you thought of the word auto electrician .. 

Its not wiring or socket or bulb, or no "flash".

Probably the switch on shifter. Might be able to adjust it, IDK. 

Do as Pearl says, this will take Dealer or an electrical shop. Maybe a Euro car specialist. Didn't "Colombo" have an old Peugeot?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLvumtMaYeE

Youtube thumbnail

• Providing you have the right bulb, the most likely cause is the microswitch connected to the gear shifter.

The old mechanical ones could be adjusted, but on a 2004 car it's probably electronic so you'll need to replace the unit.

Before you buy another, check whether you have power at the bulb socket when reverse is selected. If not it will be the switch and they can be difficult to access. 

My husband is a mechanic and that's his advice so hope this helps.

Edit...don't forget to check the fuse first!

Wrong bulbs...............

Did you put a 2 element bulb in the socket instead of a 1 element bulb?

Re-check the bulb you replaced. 

They can and do sometimes fail almost as soon as they’re used. They also sometimes don’t make good contact in the bulb-holder.

If the bulb and connection are good then use a test lamp or voltmeter to check that the supply contact in the holder shows live when the reversing light is supposed to be on. 

If it isn’t trace along the supply wire until you find the fault. Obvious places will be at any wiring joints/multiplug connectors and where the wire passes through anything else.

If there is 12v at the supply contact then test continuity from the negative/Earth/ground terminal and along the wire which it feeds. It should lead to a Earth/grounding terminal very close to the lamp which connects directly to the vehicle bodywork.