Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 month ago

What would you do if your teenage daughter told you her friends blocked her on social media for opposing gay marriage, abortion and drugs?

Even though she is deeply upset and crying, you remind her that it's not anyone else's fault she still somehow holds such unpopular and controversial views and opinions

I would automatically assume she's gay.

I'd suggest she get a real life outside social media.  Have safe sex with a real boy, etc.

I would worry that I had raised such a bigoted, narrow-minded child, and try to help her.

I'd remind her that social media is a poison and that by using it she's probably dooming her future academic and professional career. 

• Cee

I'd tell her they weren't genuine friends to begin with and she'll be happier without them.

I don't have a daughter (or son for that matter), albeit we'd definitely have to talk

about all this and how such opinions developed, because one of them isn't mine..

I'd try to understand how she became such a hateful person, since I would have raised her better.

• ?

I would tell her I'm proud of her for standing up against the new view of these things. And the popular opinions today ARE new. NO ONE was for those things in the past. I would tell her I'm proud of her having her own mind and not following the crowd to be accepted. That takes more courage then following like a sheep. 

You should likely inform her that social media is not the place to air out your personal opinions on such controversial topics.  Nobody wants to hear about it, and it is not going to change the opinion of anybody else, so all it really does is irritate people, so they blocked her. 

Peer pressure.   They are trying to get her to follow the norm.   You might tell her there are others out there that agree with her,  she needs to find them.