Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Buying my sons mom a home?

My sons mom lives in this junky trailer that i dont feel comfortable with my son in. I honestly dont think its safe. Im thinking of buying a home and letting her stay in it for dirt cheap so that my son can have a better living environment. Im not throwing shade or saying he cant have a good life living in that trailer. Im not being shallow however a home with a decent back yard and more accommodations would be great for him. His mom gives him what he needs but i dont want my son to have only what he needs. Would i be getting myself into trouble? I can afford to pay the mortgage alone no help. I just dont want to be doing too much. I want better for him. I dont think a home with central heating, bigger rooms, yard with no ant infestation, and a city with more accommodations is too much to want for him. Again, this is not an attack on his mother or his current living situation

I understand your situation since I've been there.

There were some that thought my solution was a bad idea, especially my daughter's mom.

But what I did was buy my 'Daughter' the house in her name with  mine as co-signer rather than give myself the the second shaft or ultimately our daughter when she's legally old enough to decide to be on her own or sell the house & keep the goldmine for herself instead of her mother.

The mortgage is since payed off & our daughter is 24 now just finishing nursing collage & as to whether the fecal -matter hits the fan with her mom when my daughter decides to sell & move isn't my problem since thankfully I don't have to live with either of them. 

Of course it's no too much to want for your child, I applaud you for caring deeply enough about your son... a lot of people would simply stick with bad mouthing the other parent and not do anything to change it. I do know of parents who, instead of sending their kids back and forth after they divorced, have a "kids" house and an apartment... whomever has the kids goes to the house and other other parent is in the apartment, then they switch so they children don't have to go back and forth. 

• ?

i dont see anything wrong with that

Talk to your ex about it and see how she feels, i suppose.  That is, if this is even true, which i truly doubt

• T J

You are being a good Dad. All I can do is consult your lawyer, before you make this offer to her. You do not want to be made more financially responsible more than you are now. You do not want to be paying for it and no rent from her. so see your lawyer.

Getting yourself into trouble how? You said you can afford it. Yes, loving families can live anywhere, but there's nothing wrong with wanting to give your son and his mother a bigger, cleaner home with a yard and better heating. I assume you're going to discuss it with his mom ahead of time. She should have a say in choosing the home. You can't just pick whatever you want and expect her to like it. 

I am a father trying to help his sons mother. Sorry i did not clarify this

So I'm assuming you're the stepmother, and this woman is his biological mother?

Whatever the case, you are NOT wrong for wanting to do this for your son. You're very kind. But, she may take this the wrong way, and think that you're trying to hand out charity in a condescending manner. My advice is to buy the home, and just tell her that you she can stay there if she wants. Don't reveal that the home was bought for her, just say that you were considering renting out a home and she can rent from you if she's interested. Doing it this way will have a lower chance of her feeling as if you're looking down on her. If she's not interested, then you can just rent the house to someone who can afford it, and actually make an income.