Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetInternetOther - Internet · 4 weeks ago

Paypal stole my money - now what?

I am an online personality/influencer. I added my PayPal to social media so if people wanted to show support they could. Did not receive much. Then my birthday rolled along (coupled with a struggling time for me) and many of my supporters donated money to me. I received $300 in total when Paypal blocked my account permanently and withheld my money saying I could get it after 8 months. It is 8 months gone and I am allowed access temporarily to regain my money. But my followers are asking me to set up another PayPal, but I don't want to in case the same thing happens, but cant find any better (well known legitimate) alternatives. My following says if I set my PayPal account as a business I will have no problems - but I am not a business. I am not sure if there are repercussions to having a business account or any unforeseeable issues with lying about being a business on PayPal. Advice? Should I say I am a business?

• Clara

Your first mistake was trusting PayPal. They robbed me, too. I would advise you to set up with an entity that isn't even affiliated with PayPal (some that go by different names are "members of the PayPal family", so beware.

Legitimate alternatives abound, like GoFundme.  Your 'followers' will need to understand there is a fee to send to you, but it's minor compared to ease of use. 

Being a 'business' only means that you might sell something. It doesn't have any tax or legal implications.

If you regularly do a certain thing to earn money, then that is "work".

If it's on behalf of one fixed person or company, you are an employee.

If it's what you do for yourself, it is a business.

Many people do both - have a routine job, plus eg. buying things to sell on ebay.

The ebay part is their own, a business.

However, the "influencer" & "followers" makes it sound more like a cult or scam, which is likely not allowed under ebay terms and conditions.

And remember using any false information of any type with a Paypal account (or any online account to do with finances, or where the site says you must use accurate information) is a criminal offence under computer fraud laws and any money involved can be seized, in addition to possible criminal fraud charges.

Your problem is that you appear to be a business.  As such you seem to be attempting to evading fees and taxes.  Money earned in this manner still needs to be accounted for!