Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

Is Alfredo sauce or Bechamel sauce better for a pasta bake?

that would depend on what flavor you want.

Bechamel is a roux (equal parts by volume of butter and flour) to which milk is added, and it is seasoned with salt and nutmeg. It's one of the mother sauces of French cuisine. Alfredo is much richer, with no flour but heavy cream or cream cheese, garlic, pepper and parmigan cheese. It's much richer and heavier than the bechamel. For a pasta bake, I would make a white sauce (bechamel without the nutmeg) and add some parmigan or gargonzola cheese as if I were making a morney. Lighter but just as tasty.

I prefer Bechamel but I lived near Ferrara, Italy where Bechamel is popular with pasta. I also like a Gorgonzola sauce better than Alfredo.

• nice  answer,  kswck2 … you  deserve  b/a.

Béchamel. Cream doesn't bake well.

• kswck2

I would go for a Bechamel sauce for a couple of reasons. Alfredo sauce can be Quite rich; people may not want such a rich sauce. Bechamel is quite easy and is easily made into a Mornay sauce just by adding some cheese-but Any cheese will do, although I would add parmesean. And you probably already have milk in the fridge-no need to go out shopping for heavy cream. And Bechamel is more forgiving when you are making several dishes at once. 

• TC

Alfredo sauce for the pasta 

I would make a bechamel sauce and then add parm to it.   

You need a whole lot less heavy cream to make a bechamel sauce but you can still get that nice cheesy taste/texture by adding parm. 

Marinara is the only way to go.