Working flattop In a restaurant ?

I’ve worked in restaurants on the line for a while but never the flattop. I know it’s going to be mostly burgers and stuff. Any tips cause I need them to give an official offer for real for real 

• kswck2

I have used several different flattops. Some are free standing units that are gas fired. Some are large steel sheets placed on top of a electric oven top. 

That being said, all flattops have hot zones and cold zones-and it may take you a while to figure it out. The best way is to move eggs around the top for a bit-see which spot cooks faster than others. 

Keep foods that you will use the most on the coolest part of it, such as home fries in the morning, or onions in the afternoon. 

Scrape it off at Least once per hour and rub down with water-nothing worse than getting burned on anything that will need be be scraped off at the end of the day. And keep it well lubricated, with oil, butter or spray, depending on whatever they use. 

In the restaurants I have managed, the flattop was a large cast iron surface with removable circular covers that could be removed for a wok or a high temp stock pot. The large flat cooking surface was called a griddle, and the broiling station was called a grill. Anyway, talk to the lead line cook and say you want to learn all the line skills and ask if s/he will rotate you through the equipment so you can fill in as needed.You may or may not get a shot.