Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 4 weeks ago

How to fix a broken lamp?

I don't want to get a new one because I have a set which I love. Plus, it's hard to find very large ones. I bought them from marketplace. One stopped working after 8 months. They seem like they are from the 1970's. I could be wrong. Does anyone know how to fix a lamp that doesn't turn on? Here is a pic.

Yes, replace the light bulb socket, power cord, and plug.

You can easily repair your lamp by starting with the bulb and then with the wiring. Major time wiring shot from the connection, for resolving it you can change the wiring. It is the simplest idea for repairing any electrical product if we can't get the loop hole.

Re-wiring a lamp is a fairly easy project. You can find many videos on Youtube or books in the library or online that show you exactly how to do it. Most of the time it's a broken or frayed wire inside the lamp. You may need to replace a part or two--but this is a simple job. If you can't do it, there are plenty of people who might want to make $20 to do it for you. 

the electrical needs to be detected.  sincy you know zero about doing that, i suggest a local handyman

I would think it  is the switch that has failed, that is easy to replace. An electrician could replace it if you are not confident doing it yourself. But first check the fuse (if it has one) and the bulb are OK. Lots of videos on how to rewire a lamp.

Lamps are not that hard to fix, nor expensive to fix if you do it yourself. I don't know exactly how to fix yours, because I don't know what's wrong with it. "Not turning on" doesn't tell me much. I'll assume you have checked the bulb. Maybe it's the switch. Maybe it's the socket. Maybe a connection has come loose. Maybe the plug is faulty. I'm sure you can google to find out how to diagnose and fix a lamp.

Hardware stores and even walmart sells lamp sockets with new switches. Less than $5 

• ?

First check that the light bulb is good.  If that isn't the issue, google lamp shops in your area.  Some of them will have someone there that can do the repair. Lamps can be rewired if necessary.