I read in an article that solar wind may contribute to the newly discovered water deposits on the moon? How does solar wind do that?

Water is H2O. The solar wind is largely hydrogen.  The Moon has oxygen in its rocks.  Solar wind impacts said rocks, a bit of chemical action and voila!  A water molecule.

I don't understand the obsession with traces of water on the moon. Anyone would think the entire Earth was a parched desert and water was an exotic novelty. There are many different minerals in the lunar regolith. Several visits to the moon have returned ample evidence of this. There is more to the moon than water, strange as it may seem to those who are enthralled by the pseudoscience peddled by media nonsense.

But for what it's worth, the solar wind consists largely of protons. A proton is a hydrogen nucleus. If one was sufficiently bored with all the other topics in astronomy, one could speculate about hydrogen atoms from the solar wind combining with oxygen bearing minerals in lunar soil to produce the much vaunted water that we are all supposed to do summersaults over.

• Jim

I can imagine that the solar wind 'blows' some moisture off Earth and gets deposited on the moon