Lv 7
Queien asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 1 month ago

I saw pictures of an interesting flower mutation a while ago but now I can't remember what it's called. Help?

It's hard to explain and I wish I could find pictures, but I can't find any pictures without knowing what it's called. All my attempts at googling have failed. Anyway, I'm going to describe the effect in a daisy, since that's the flower I remember the pictures of the clearest. Anyway, instead of being round in the center, some of the daisies were oval in the middle. In some, the mutation was so intense that the daisy's round center part was long. There was text that came with the pictures describing it as an error where the genetics of the flowers didn't know when to stop, so instead of symmetrical, round flowers, the plant just kept going and going like it was on a loop until the shape was all wrong. 

Sorry for the bad description. It's been a while since I saw this and the memory has faded.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?


It's apparently called fasciation, and broccoli is an example of it being bred into a plant on purpose.

2 Answers

  • 1 month ago

    I just googled "mutated daisy" and found several articles about fasciation in plants. 

  • 1 month ago

    Interesting.  In mustard, the flowers that don't stop are broccoli and cauliflower.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.