Anonymous

Would you rather have an invisible or visible disability?

If you do not have a disability, or if you do have one, would you rather have an invisible or visible disability? If you do have one, do you feel that your disability being invisible/visible is an advantage or disadvantage, or can be both?

Both think I have both anyways considering I'm nearsighted autistic anxiety mild depressed and ADD. Life is sometimes hell though..

I have both, I would prefer if I had neither.

I don't think I have any real preference when it comes to having a disability that's visible or invisible, like any sensible person, I'd rather have neither. Since my actual disability is an 'invisible' one, there have been times when I've felt some envy towards people who can get visible support or 'tools' to help them work around their problems.

Visible disabilities: you 'may' get help more easily, but you are often pitied/patronised or in some cases, told that you're 'just not trying' or 'faking it' if you can walk a few shaky steps without a wheelchair (for example).

Invisible disabilities: most of the time you won't get much help, or if you do ask for help you'll get pitied or patronised because 'you look normal'. For conditions like chronic fatigue syndrome, you'll frequently be accused of laziness, for mental conditions you'll often get treated as being stupid, lazy etc.