Lucy asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 4 weeks ago

Should I be Harrased for Drinking Underage by my Mom?

So, I drank underage (not that underage) and my mom found out and now my brother and mom are continuously making jokes and bringing it up, practically bullying and harrasing me even when I am completely uncomfortable, sad and regret everything. My mom thinks its a punishment but I don't think it is any shape or form ok to bully and harass someone, especially when they ask to stop? How is that a good lesson to be teaching us? Anyways, so my question is: do you think it's ok? 

Clarifying: I may have been in the moment to call it "harrasement" when its not THAT bad. When I mean that, I mean constantly bringing it up, making jokes etc. etc. to the point where it isn't funny and its making me unhappy.

just dont drink anymore and then they wont bother you

You drank underage.  You knew it was wrong and mum found out.  Your mum sounds like mine.  It was a big thing to her and unconsciously she worries about it and doesn't want you doing it again.  Therefore she brings it up at every opportunity (yes it's REALLY annoying and tends to have the opposite effect).  Your bro is just joining in because it takes the focus of attention off him (and possibly his misdemeanours) while also irritating his brother which is always good sport.  It's not bullying.  She doesn't realise how often she does it.    If this has been going on for some months (not just a week or so)....say 6 months....just say 'Oh you aren't still going on about THAT are you?  Will you STILL be reminding the world about it when I'm 30?'  If it continues just ignore it and look bored or openly count the times it happens like '5th time, 10th time'

It's not ok to drink underage but hey, a lot of folk do it. It's illegal for a reason. But the joking around comes with it. It's either that or grounded and no TV/phone etc. Have you tried talking to them and not us? They not might see it as bullying. It's very common thing to do tbh. 

• T J

They are both wrong...when you are old enough get out of there and get them both out of your life.

• A.J.

Parents aren't trained how to raise children. Maybe it's because they were raised badly.

The best I can offer to you is that drinking alcohol is meant for adults, is not good in excess, and you need to learn right from wrong ang making your own decisions.

Punishment should not be about harassment, or hitting.

See if you can answer:

What did you do?

Why did you do it?

Why is it wrong?

• JimTom

No, thats no reason to bully/harass someone. They need to just get over it, whats the big deal? You didnt say how much underage you were but if its only a year or 2, who cares, we've all done that.