?
? asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 3 months ago

Did you hear that the Chief Scientist at NOAA was fired for sending out the organization's scientific integrity policy?

I guess Trump's new chief of staff at NOAA didn't like being asked to acknowledge the policy, which requires that scientists follow ethical standards. I guess being asked to be ethical was too constraining.

Anonymous troll, do you have a reading problem? Here's the quote from the article that shows I'm correct: "Mr. McLean had sent some of the new political appointees a message that asked them to acknowledge the agency’s scientific integrity policy,..."

Clearly the trolls that say that you "only send policy to subordinates" haven't worked in any large, modern organization. It doesn't matter who you are in an organization you are expected to have been advised of and adhere to organization policy. It will often be the case that someone lower in an organization structure will be advising someone "higher" about their responsibilities--that happens every day, in organizations all over the country.

I have to laugh at "I", who I'm guessing has never had a real job. In modern corporate structure, every employee is expected to follow company policy--even CEOs. Certain employees are responsible for every employee acknowledges and agrees to follow those rules. Sending a copy of the policy to a new hire is not "questioning their integrity". 

Technically, he was demoted rather than fired outright.

But there's not really any question why.

As Chief Scientist for the agency, it was part of his job to make sure that new personnel were informed of the policy and acknowledge having read it.  That is particularly true for new political appointee personnel, who wouldn't have gone through the normal hiring and orientation process.

The new Chief of Staff for the agency took exception to being informed by him, asked him what his authority was to do so, then demoted him via e-mail.

There's not really any way to interpret that differently.

----

Re: your update - 

Yeah, it sounds like they've never worked in a place that had mandatory policy reviews as part of new employee orientation.

I've sat in orientation sessions that had everyone from entry-level housekeepers to VPs in the same class.  The staff giving the orientation are generally below the level of department heads.

So an employee questioned the new supervisor's integrity. 

Sending the company manual to your superior while questioning his ethics the first day is not the smartest thing to do.