I'm planning to renounce my US citizenship?

Hello, I'm 28 years old, I did a tax froud 5 years ago by claiming two kids that are not my relatives, I'm in Mexico right now (I don't want to go to jail) that's why I'm here in Mexico, I'm planning to renounce my US citizenship next year, and I want to amend my fraudalent tax return whenever I turn 65 so that way I'll have money to pay back the amount I took as an eic from the kids I claimed in 2015 can I do so???


Please help

Update 2:

Please help!!!

Update 3:

I am in a lot of stress, I'll pay the $8,000 from when I received that amount and I'll accept the bill and penalties, I'll pay that amount whenever I'll turn 65 and get my SS retirement

Update 4:

I don't want to go to jail!!

Update 5:

Please help!!!!!

Update 6:

Can I do so??? Amend a tax return 40 years later???

9 Answers

  • 1 month ago
    Favourite answer

    If it's been 5 years and the IRS is not coming after you, you are in the clear.

    If you have been caught, create a payment plan with the IRS.

    You aren't going to jail for this.

    You don't need to renounce your citizenship. 

  • 1 month ago

    Renouncing your citizenship won't get you out of both criminal and civil liability for ANYTHING.

  • RICK
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    How does turning 65 give you money?

    If you renounce your citizenship you forfeit your SS

  • 1 month ago

    IRS will not make a criminal case out of claiming two kids that aren't yours.  If they haven't proposed any additional tax in five years they are not going to do so now.  You can come back.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    When you find that you have dug yourself into a hole, don't keep digging.

    No you can't amend a 40 year old return.  

    What you owe by then would have grown a lot, with penalties and interest.

    WHAT social security do you think you'd have?

    What do you think renouncing your citizenship would do for you?

  • Eva
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    That's not the way it works. You have 3 years from the date of filing to amend. You're already past that for a 2015 return. You could have fixed this a long time ago and they don't put people in jail for that particular offense. You simply have to pay the tax you owe. It's foolish to even consider renouncing your citizenship over this issue.

  • 1 month ago

    You cannot amend a return 40 years later, no.  Renouncing your citizenship does not change the debt you already owe.  

  • 1 month ago

    Amend the returns now and pay the correct amount. The IRS prefers money over putting people in jail.

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    There is something wrong with you.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.