Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

Does anxiety make you dumb?

I suffer from generalized anxiety and I think I have for many years. I have a job working in a pet shop 2-3 days a week.

They have a group chat on Facebook and the Owner and Manager frequently post rants or pictures of employees mistakes that have been made during the day where every staff member can see (which I think is wrong).

When I am helping a customer or explaining something I know the owner or Manager is watching me and it makes me panic so bad my hands shake.

I find I am constantly stuffing up and making the biggest mistakes. The owner also likes to talk down to us in front of each other and just shrugs his shoulders and walks away if I need help with something.

I constantly fear stuffing up all the time and that everyone thinks I am stupid and I feel sick going to work there and wondering if I’m going to be posted on Facebook. I’m also finding that I’m just not learning very well anything either.

The owner and manager fight and argue constantly.

I have another job that I have worked at for 4 years now (don’t feel anxious there) which I don’t feel so anxious at and barley make mistakes.

Could anxiety medication help?

• bill

Your bosses are morons who should have someone tune them in. Just do what you do and don't worry about it as it appears you have no control over what they do anyways unless you can convince them to stop .

maybe see a dr, and get some therapy/medication

No, I am just naturally dumb as a brick

Feeling anxious, making stupid mistakes, and struggling to learn are all familiar to me, I easily get lost, am persistently late, and my house is a disorganised shambles. at age 50 I was put on antidepressants but I knew I wasn't depressed, I was just fed-up being stupid and failing. eventually, at age 55, I was diagnosed and for the first time in my life I'm no longer stupid, maybe your like me, I'm ADHD :) x

Fluoride are much more dangerous. 

It's a possibility and one should already know this as a fact, but here you go asking why are people dumb? That's the thing. People are down right stupid. Even worse if such is a mob!

Fu*k that manager.  You probably have more than anxiety.  But even if you do not tell him your manager should be able to see you do not like what he is doing.

Anxiety is a symptom.  IT is rarely a stand alone.  MDD, BPD, C-PTSD; PTSD, BD or other things cause it.  I'd dig into whats wrong.  Doesn't mean you need a therapist.  But I work with lots of women with C-PTSD/BPD.  You can still research and learn for 3-4 months.  If it is just anxiety at the end then you know.

I work with 2 women who are gifted/empathic.  That is really rare.  But makes stuff 200% worse.  Again its rare but there might be negative energy there.  Either way it sounds toxic.  Get out of there work on you.  Even if you can not "afford to quit".  Your health can not afford it.  Stress/anxiety is real.  you feel the internal pressure right?  We could hook you up to machines and show it to you.  This leads to cardio issues which are the number 1 killer in many nations.  It is not ok.  Leave

It does not make lots of sense the other job is better less gifted/empath and its a better environment.

Anyhow anxiety meds are toxic.....

I think that manager is dumb. If he wants better performances from his employees, he should post things they do well instead of posting mistakes. I have a tremendous amount of behavior research to prove what I just said.

Maybe the best thing is for you to get another job, but that can be hard with today's economy. There's a variety of things that can help with anxiety. Most people do better with therapy - CBT - and there are even people who benefit from self-help based on CBT.

When we have a lot of anxiety, it puts worrisome thoughts into our heads. There's two ways to get rid of those thoughts.

One is just to calm down. The easiest way to do this is to breathe slowly till you feel OK Two psychiatrists, Brown and Gerbarg, say a 10 or 20 min slow breathing exercise - 5 breaths a min - is good and 20 min twice a day is a therapy for anxiety. The exercise is inhale and exhale gently, 6 seconds each.

When you're calm, you can think your way through a problem instead of just worrying about it. Think about the worst thing that can happen, how likely that is and what you could do if it happens. In a stressful situation, think about the different ways you can respond and decide which one is the most intelligent.

Don't make mountains out of molehills.

When you use the thinking brain, you get control of the emotional brain, and you feel better.

Also, replace negative thoughts with positive thoughts. Count your blessings and remind yourself of your successes.

The treatments for anxiety range from simple stress reduction methods to therapy and medication. Don't overlook stress management - it can help even with very bad anxiety. Info about stress and self-help based on CBT here - 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqEM_jlDRZI

Youtube thumbnail

Info about anxiety treatments here -

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20200...

• Lili

First, be aware that anti-anxiety medication can make people sluggish and sleepy.  You could be even more prone to mistakes while on it, even if you weren't as shaky and panicky.  It can turn some people into zombies, really.  I once volunteered with someone who stared taking Klonopin and who basically lost her affect.  Since we were dealing regularly with the public, this was not a good thing.

Second, however, I do think this job sounds very problematic, so you might think seriously about quitting it. The manager and owner are the problems, people a person like you just doesn't need to be around. Find another part-time job. That could be the solution to your problem right then and there.

But do you have a therapist? You need to learn some anxiety-management techniques, so I strongly recommend seeing a cognitive behavioral therapist who can help you with that. You can also discuss the possibility of medication with him or her.

One problem with medication is that doctors do not like to prescribe these controlled substances in large amounts or on a long-term basis, because they are addictive.  So, you can't rely on medication for the rest of your life. You need to find another way or ways to deal with your anxiety when it arises.

• Kelley

Stop working at the job where you feel anxiety