My PC won't recognize my Toshiba external hard drive?

I've been using a 2 tb toshiba canvio for about a year now and haven't had any issues. All of a sudden, my computer won't recognize it. It doesn't even appear in the device manager anymore. However, it still shows up on my laptop no problem.

I tried reinstalling the drivers from https://www.canvio.jp/en/support/download/hdd/ot_e... but it still didn't do anything. I'm not very good at dealing with tech issues, so I'm wondering if I did something wrong or installed the wrong drivers? Or if anyone has any other solutions? I tried all the usb ports in my computer btw and they all work with my other devices, and my hard drive powers up when I plug it in, it just won't appear on my pc.

If the Toshiba external hard drive shows as unrecognized, go to the driver's tab and delete/uninstall the driver. Then check out whether the external hard drive shows up in My Computer/My PC or not. If it doesn't show up, reboot or restart the PC.

What OS, are you using?

• Bill-M

Sometimes the computer will fail to assign a Drive Letter to an External Hard Drive.

Plug in the Drive and Open DISK MANAGER.  If you see the Drive But no Drive Letter, right click on the drive and assign a drive letter to it.

You can open Disk Manager by Right Click on the Start Button and in the pop up menu select Disk Manager.  This is for Windows 10.

take it to a computer place and have them help you with it