Is there any reason to buy an antivirus as opposed to just using free ones like Avira or Avast?

Update:

Do you think with Windows 10, if I add Avira or Avast, it will only slow my PC down?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Favourite answer

Just use the Defender that it comes with and practice safe computing  The latter is by FAR more important than any program.

Adding a third party antivirus weakens the windows defenses slightly.  They have been known as vectors for viruses in the past.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

paid ones offer more options , free ones are limited.

• 4 weeks ago

Not really, no.

I've used AVG for years - it is a bit of a resource hog, but my computers have resources to spare.

• garry
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

paid ones offer more options , free ones are limited.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

I used the Malwarebytes free version for years, then upgraded to the purchased version. The best reason for doing that is support. And it updates itself regularly and works very well. 

Malwarebytes doesn't slow down your computer. 

• 4 weeks ago

Windows Defender is better to use for free 

• L.N.
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Windows Defender is better than Avast or Avira and it is already installed on Windows 10. I used to be an Avast fan, but no more due to their deceptive practices.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Nope, just use the free ones or better yet use the Windows Security that comes with  Windows 10.

• 4 weeks ago

Gonna be honest for the past few years the one that windows comes with as standard has along with a vpn been fine.  If you download things that are potentially risky though another antivirus may be beneficial.

• Bill-M
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Depends on your Operating System.

Windows 10 =  Has it's own called Windows Security. No need for any other anti virus.

Windows 7 =  Free Version of Avast or AVG.

Linux = Not required.

I use Malwarebytes (Free Version) as it works will with Windows Security.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.