Is there any reason to buy an antivirus as opposed to just using free ones like Avira or Avast?

Do you think with Windows 10, if I add Avira or Avast, it will only slow my PC down?

Just use the Defender that it comes with and practice safe computing  The latter is by FAR more important than any program.

Adding a third party antivirus weakens the windows defenses slightly.  They have been known as vectors for viruses in the past.

paid ones offer more options , free ones are limited.

Not really, no.

I've used AVG for years - it is a bit of a resource hog, but my computers have resources to spare.

• garry

I used the Malwarebytes free version for years, then upgraded to the purchased version. The best reason for doing that is support. And it updates itself regularly and works very well. 

Malwarebytes doesn't slow down your computer. 

Windows Defender is better to use for free 

• L.N.

Windows Defender is better than Avast or Avira and it is already installed on Windows 10. I used to be an Avast fan, but no more due to their deceptive practices.

Nope, just use the free ones or better yet use the Windows Security that comes with  Windows 10.

Gonna be honest for the past few years the one that windows comes with as standard has along with a vpn been fine.  If you download things that are potentially risky though another antivirus may be beneficial.

• Bill-M

Depends on your Operating System.

Windows 10 =  Has it's own called Windows Security. No need for any other anti virus.

Windows 7 =  Free Version of Avast or AVG.

Linux = Not required.

I use Malwarebytes (Free Version) as it works will with Windows Security.