Is a hamburger a sandwich?

If someone went out of their way to name it something other than "sandwich", is it a really a sandwich?

• Goerge

It is both actually. Just because the bread style has changed there's no reason for the name to change but some people think that is the case. Consider SOS which is $h|t on a shingle but SOS is friendlier for some. SOS is some sort of meat gravy(said crap) poured over a slice of bread(said shingle). That is also known as an open faced sandwich, to some. The hamburger is made with ground meat instead of sliced meat and it uses buns instead of sliced sandwich bread which makes it, for some, distinctly different than a sandwich when for others it's meat and fillings placed between two slices of bread, which is exactly what a bun is. It is bread and it is sliced. Would I walk up and say can I have a double sandwich please, that couldn't adequately convey my needs so a double burger or double cheeseburger is more specific to the construction of my desired sandwich in the same way that open-faced describes sandwiches made with one slice of bread. Is a burger still a burger when the buns are replaced with Krispy Kreme glazed doughnuts and an egg is added? That burger just morphed into a breakfast sandwich before your eyes. 

Next up, what the heck is a salad? I grew up eating Jell-O with fruit and sometimes it was mixed with whipped cream. Years later and I am supposed to call it a Jell-O salad. The next person insists it's Ambrosia and the next says it's Ambrosia salad. 

Find out the history of the food but don't get so hung up on its current name. That's so darned personal like what is meatloaf or what is a hamburger when some moron puts ketchup on it. Purists with sticks up their but can argue over semantics while I enjoy my sammich.

It is if it's served on a bun or other bread. It's not if you just get the patty served on a plate.

"If someone went out of their way to name it something other than 'sandwich', is it a really a sandwich?"

Yes a hamburger is a specific type of sandwich.

Lots of sandwiches have specific names...BLT, tuna melt, hoagie, sub, Philly cheese steak...all sandwiches.

• kswck2

Sandwich is a generic term. Is a Krispy Creme donut between two slices of bread a sandwich? Who knows? 

Yes a hamburger is a kind of sandwich. If I’m correct, for something to be considered a sandwich it has to be edible food in between 2 bread items.