Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 4 weeks ago

What are the chances of another habitable planet being in our galaxy?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Pointless question. Before you can resolve this question, you need to resolve alot of things that currwntly cannot be resolved.

• 4 weeks ago

There are 400 billion stars in the Galaxy and most have several planets. That is several trillion planets. Chances are very good that some of them are habitable and have life. 

• 4 weeks ago

Approximately zero.

Even less is the chance we would ever detect it, even assuming it does exist.

And unless you are a professional biologist, looking for new species to catalog, does it matter?

• Adam D
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Habitable for humans?  Extremely slim.  Organisms on Earth evolved for billions of years in these particular conditions - conditions that are the result of the formation and history of our planet in the context of our solar system.  Even as big as the galaxy is, it's not likely that another planet would exist in a similar system and undergo a similar history to the point that the conditions on that planet would make it habitable for us.

Habitable for something?  I'd say likely.  Life of some sort has probably evolved out there somewhere else.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

I think I'll go with the odds here -- almost certain

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

100%. Finding them from the billions of planets is the first hard part, the next would be having the ability to get there. They have found some planets  in the goldilocks zone around their star. Just recently The first habitable-zone, Earth-sized planet was discovered with exoplanet survey spacecraft that has signs of life supporting gases. 

• ANDY
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

Habitable is a word that means a place where life can exist. But life, too, has its meaning: organisms of any kind that live and die. So the probability that in our galaxy with millions and even billions of exoplanets there be some kind of life is high. Now, as for whether organisms similar to humans are out there somewhere, I would be skeptical, but nevertheless I wouldn't rule it out.

However, do not forget that even if there is a habitable planet for us humans to colonize, albeit in a near star of a few light years away, there would be no possibility to "fly" there like going, say, from Europe to America.

• Jim
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

"habitable" in the sense of gravity, non-toxic atmosphere, a mix of land mass with water? Chances are near 100%.

The "problem" is getting there. Takes 10,000+ years to get to the closest star with current tech!

• 4 weeks ago

With only *one* example that we're aware of - Earth - we don't really know... All anyone really has is opinion and conjecture; I think it's very likely, when you consider the sheer *number* planets that must exist in the Milky Way; with 200-250 *billion* stars, there could be more than a *trillion* planets; of those, surely a few would be Earth-like...

But - we simply don't know.  They could be numerous, they could be rare, or Earth could be the only planet in the galaxy with life... Until we find any evidence (either way), it's all a guess. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.