alex asked in PetsDogs · 4 weeks ago

How to tell if my dogs body language is aggressive?

I have two Rottweilers, both 3 years old, one male and one female.

The female has always been fine with other dogs however the boy I'm not so sure on and I'm not willing to let him off to find out.

Whenever he see's another dog he's fixated on them. His tail is up and wagging and he cries. I can't tell if its aggressive or not. He's had encounters with dogs off lead before when I've not spotted them and he's never bitten or acted overly aggressive. However he was aggressive towards another dog the other day while on his lead although his tail was wagging and crying.

He's perfectly fine with all 4 of my parents dogs and as a puppy he loved and played with all dogs we met, but as he got bigger people started to avoid us so the dog socialising pretty much stopped.

I want him to be fine with other dogs but I just can't tell if his body language is friendly or not.

You can google 'canine body language' & learn how to communicate with your dog.  Here are some sites that can help you learn a little about it.

https://www.google.com/search?client=avg&q=How+to+...

Alll this need for interaction between strange dogs kind-of amuses me.   Dogs should be focused on you so quite honestly, as your male Rottie has you and his female companion to 'defend', I'd not give him the opportunity to BE aggressive with other dogs.   In other words keep him on a lead when around other dogs.   That includes your female too.   Not every owner wants their dog bothered by an off the lead dog.

I don't believe in castration being used in place of training.   Never have, never will.  The only given with castration, which however simple, is still surgery with a g/a and recovery, is no unwanted puppies.   I'm all for spaying however which presumably, you have had done.  This avoids the need to confine twice a year for 3 weeks, or the risk of a female-related cancer or a Pyometra. 

I only castrate for medical need.   And from experience, all too often a castrated male can be picked on by other dogs, unsure about what he actually is (from scent).

with wild animals u can train them but u can't tame them. May be the same for your male dog. Is he desexed? Testosterone can make them more aggressive. Basic training may make the dog more obedient. Did he go to puppy school? THis is where the get introduced to other puppies and other people and makes them less suseptible for aggressive behaviour with either dogs or people.

If your dog is intact, he is 75% MORE LIKELY to bite than if neutered, but you do not indicate his status.

Had you attended a couple of obedience class series - with your male and gotten him around a GROUPS of other dogs (who were ALL carefully kept under control) you could have learned to judge his behavior around a wide variety of dogs.  Just a couple of individual dos, is not much of a test.  As it is, you CLEARLY did not do formal training over a period of time around 12-24 or more dogs (in at least 2 sets of classes) and now also have a dog who may not mind you very well, if at all (if off lead).  You cannot take chances, aside from perhaps one or 2 friends or family member's well behaved dog in a small fenced enclosure, where you can quickly get to him.  A dog who will not "spin on a dime" and COME to you -REGARDLESS of the distraction, is not safe to be off lead around multiple other dogs.  I do NOT get the impression from your post, you have that kind of control.If your dog were to instigate or get INTO a dog fight at say a dog park, not only would you be barred, but Animal Control would be called & he could immediately become legally defined as a DANGEROUS dog (who would not only have to be on lead to leave your property, but MUZZLED at all times).

You could, hire a professional trainer to work with him and to gradually get him around more dogs & give you a professional opinion.

How long have you owned the two dogs? I can tell IMMEDIATELY how my dogs are going to react by their posture.  My GSD does not like other dogs, was attacked by a much bigger dog when she was a puppy (she now weighs over 120 pounds and no dogs even think about attacking her), and she can wag her tail and still lunge at another dog.  It takes a very firm hand, a lot of "easy, easy" and praise when she does nothing.

It is a foolish mistake to allow a dog you can't "read" to be off lead.  Your liability if there is an issue is very high.