Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 4 weeks ago

I like to stay as simple.  Or,  I like to stay simple. ?

if you say as, you have to give us what you are that you are as (as).

In other words, I like to stay as simple (as something). Otherwise, you don't use "as" in that sentence.  It doesn't give any special meaning by itself in that sentence.

As can sometimes be used to mean "considering" or "given that", like "As it is so hot outside, I decided to wear shorts instead of long pants".  As can also be used to mean something like "while", such as "As I fell down the stairs, I saw my life pass before my eyes".

The only meaning that would be sensible in your example would be if you mean as to mean "equally", and that requires the comparison to have been mentioned just beforehand as part of context, such as: Look at her, in front of all these screaming people yet acting like nothing unusual is happening. I would like to remain as calm. 

But this last example is just a form of an understood comparison (as calm as she is without actually saying the "as she is" part).

• RP

It could be either, depending upon context and what follows. An alternative might be I prefer simplicity, especially with writing.

• Zirp

maybe neither. What do you mean?

in Dutch, simple and simple are different things.

• blank

Second one is fine.  First one is incomplete:   "I like to stay as simple as....."

Add an as after simple and complete with your analogy.

"I like to stay as simple as a carefree child."   Would be just one example.

• Rick

I WOULD like to stay as simple as I can ................