?
? asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 3 months ago

For 2020 so far, the U.S. has had about 80% more record highs than record lows, is this the new normal?

23,884 record highs versus 13,213 record lows. It was 84 degrees at my house today.

Anonymous, you claim I do not have two jobs, the only way you could possibly know that is if you know who I am, so who am I? In fact, I've even offered to share redacted pay stubs with you, but I've yet to see an email from you. And to your twin anonymous--cute meme, but I am not David and I have no sock puppets. If I recall correctly, David and I are on opposite coasts.

• Koshka

It's ''cold'' here, I put cold in brackets, because it's like that in Canada, 1 C or 0 or even -5 C is not cold for us! Right now it's like 1 C outside and -3 C with wind chills! It's not usually that cold by halloween. But we had record heat this summer and a lot of rain last winter then it froze and everyone had to wear clamps.

I kid you not. Usually we get snow during winter, seldom rain. I hope we get snow soon! 

Yes.  It's what you would expect in a warming world.  It doesn't mean that cold records can't occur; just that they are less likely when average temperatures are higher than in previous decades. Yet there are some on the 'skeptics' side who still focus on regional cold events, in an effort to confirm their belief that global cooling is happening.

As GLOBAL temps continue to rise and the length of the records increases, record cold events will become less likely.  in a couple of decades of so, I suspect we will see claims along the lines of "Coldest Tuesday afternoon in Lincoln Nebraska for 43 years." from those who have convinced themselves that solar variation is the key and that the greenhouse effect is a myth.

Well, since it's been pretty much that way for several years, it certainly looks that way.

• David

Hit 87 at my house today -- just checked, only 3 degrees below the record. Not that it says anything about global warming, but it was fun to brag about it to my Canadian co-workers.  😎🌴