? asked in Computers & InternetHardwareMonitors · 3 months ago

Why is my monitor doing this? ?

This is the weirdest technical problem I've ever dealt with and I'm not very good with computers so some advice or pointers would be so appreciated.

My ex boyfriend lent me a monitor which is quite old. 

Recently, it started switching off in the  middle of me using it. Sometimes it will turn itself back on and be fine for a few minutes before turning off but it's quite unpredictable. As you can imagine it's pretty annoying but I don't think it's something wrong with my computer - because the monitor switches itself on every couple of seconds when the PC is turned off (no signal). I noticed it at night and it's so weird.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be? It is currently flashing on and off.

I have tried different power cables. 

The display is a DVI 

It is around 6-7 years old. i think it's "mad catz"?

• falcon

Time to upgrade treat your self  

It’s old. Also it maybe because you might be using an adapter.

• ?

It's (quite old!)

yes -- the monitor is junk -- that's what is happening

It sounds like a loose wire somewhere that connects to power supply. Most likely, it is not visible, but broken inside the wire's wrapping.

Never heard of the "mad catz" brand.  Chinese?  

Power supplies inside those old models might start a fire if there is a short circuit.

It is suggested to get a better one.  Even new nice large ones can be bought for less than $100.  Search the Internet.

That is all that can be suggested from your information, which was not complete.