Anonymous

Use of college and HS transcript and diploma?

How often will you use your college transcripts,diploma as well as your high school one diploma and transcripts for employment? 3 or 4 times? With every job? What if your school closes, what happens then? 

Your high school transcripts are needed only to get into college.  After that, it's your college transcripts that count and only for the first few jobs.

Never.  I don't even have won since I dropped out of high school. Only ONE jobe eevry asked to sea it.  I just shoed them one I printed out from the computer. Never suspected a thing.

Once you earn a college degree (& perhaps have a job or two worth of experience), your high school transcript is no longer of any interest. You only need high school transcripts to get into college, jobs until you earn your degree. As for college transcripts, after 2-3 years of post-bachelor's experience on the job, companies pay far more attention to your references & recommendations. They might verify graduation with your university, but probably will not request a transcript. Employers want proven performers. So job performance takes priority fairly quickly.

• DON W

Your college transcript:  you may have to provide a copy to your first couple of employers.  If you apply to graduate school or a certificate program, you will be asked for the transcript.

College diploma:  Never.

High school transcript:  When applying to a college.

High school diploma:  Highly unlikely, unless a job wants proof that you're a high school graduate.

If a school closes:  If it was a legitimate college or public high school, their records will be transferred to either another school, or to the state.  If it's a private commercial school that goes bankrupt, you may be out of luck, so hold on to the paperwork you received from that school.  Better yet, stick to legitimate schools that are highly unlikely to close up.  "Joe's Bartender Academy and School of Massage" may not be your safest choice, even if Joe is a good instructor.

depends on what job; HS never, but college and beyond I have had to submit copies of my diploma  (mostly of my specialty education) for licenses and credentialing. (I just have several copies made on file). Only once did someone want transcripts of my masters for a teaching certificate. Most places either if needed can check on line or call & verify. Almost none want grades. Your transcripts list your degree on it (so no actual diploma needed).

First, you are mixing up a diploma, a transcript, and a verification. I've never heard of anyone ever asking to see a diploma.

Some employers will ask to see a transcript IF they want proof that you either completed a course of study or graduated from an institution.  The longer a person is employed after graduation, the less likely it is that an employer will care -- unless there is some legal requirement.

Many employers will verify the degree or years or attendance. This doesn't require either a diploma or a transcript.  It is a phone call or often just filling out an online request that go to the registrars office.  

I work at a college and even they didn't ask for a copy of my degree or diploma when I was hired though they may have verified it. I can't recall if I signed anything that would have allowed them to check. It depends what you do. I have had jobs ask what my gpa was though I have no idea how they verify that due to FERPA. Still I wouldn't lie about it or anything since getting caught lying is more likely to cost you a job or entry to higher ed than actually not graduating or getting mediocre grades. If you try to go to graduate school, become a lawyer, or a civil service position, they will validate what you say and will further check if you had any disciplinary history. Some jobs run a background check and you sign your rights to allow them to check. But most small companies don't have the funds to spend on that.