Anonymous

Are college fields open to the use of the public?

There is a soccer field at a college near me that I'd like to run around on but will I don't want to get in trouble for not being a student. I've never seen anything saying no but I wanted to make sure.

You'd need to contact the college's athletic department to get the answer.

In the U.S., public universities have open campuses and people can access anything that isn't fenced or locked.  For example, an open practice field that isn't in use by a team would be find to play on, but not inside a stadium.  Private universities may or may not allow public access.

As long as there isn't a locked gate or a practice going on, I don't think anyone would care.

• zipper

NO! They are private property and not open to the public, unless one obtains permission first

• garry

simple are colleges open for  everyone to walk thru ..

The way to "make sure" a certain playing field is open to the public is not to ask a bunch of random strangers on the Internet who might not even live on your CONTINENT, but to contact the college itself and ASK THEM.

Don't you think it's just possible THEY might know?

Contact the college and find out their policy on public use of their grounds. Most will tell you no due to insurance issues.

• John

The answers which say it depends on the school are correct.  In my experience, most restricted facilities have signs posted.  Sometimes, there are partial restrictions.  For example, a soccer field may restrict non-students to the middle of the pitch, a football practice field to inside the 20 yard lines, and a track to the outside lanes.  That helps even out wear on the facilities.  

High schools can also be a good place for training.  I used to live in an area where the county high schools and middle schools encouraged adults to use the fields and track.  The presence of the adults helped keep vandals away.  

The particular university's policy is likely to be on their website. Some welcome the public, some don't. 

Some are, some aren't. (Why does this question make me think of  "Gym Crow" at Columbia?) Even those that are open to the public, however, typically have a reservation system. 

That said, if the field is not in use, and you look even remotely like a student, it's not likely that anyone will bother you as long as you leave without being asked as soon as a student wants to use it.

And if someone asks you to leave, then leave! No one is going to escalate into calling security or the police if you're compliant. 

Obey posted rules about hours (typically dawn to dusk), use of cleats, etc.

Not generally. Most colleges have campus police, which are actual police. If campus police stop you and asks if you're a student there and ask for student ID and you say no or can't furnish valid student ID showing you're a student, they'll ask you to leave, and if you don't, they'll arrest you for trespassing. This has actually happened to me. 

• Mark

You wouldn't get in trouble in any case, just be asked to leave.  But if you are not a troll, why don't you email the college in question?