?
? asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 3 months ago

Did you know that global temperatures have risen about 0.5C since David Viner made his statement about future snow in the UK becoming rare?

That's just over the last 20 years, which translates to a rate of 2.5 C increase per 100 years.  The animation on the follow website shows that the UK has already had decreased snowfall, and on the south and east coasts it is indeed becoming rare and unusual. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43158532

This question is bein posted again because someone that couldn't refute it had it deleted with his many sock puppet accounts.

Viner wasn't talking about "Fall Northern Hemisphere Snow Extent", so your chart is irrelevant.

Everything in the “Fact check” is a lie.

Snow is increasing in the northern hemisphere.  That includes UK.  Viner was wrong.

• Koshka

Yes and I think most people are aware of that. But I dislike sensationalist titles, I'm not sure if he really said that ''snow becoming a rare event, or a thing of the past'' or whatever.

Here in southern part of Québec where most people live, it has become more frequent to see rain. There was the El Nino of 98 rain in January, then froze over and people were left without power for weeks! There was ice everywhere. It's the worst time of year to be without power!

Usually it seldom rains during January, but the last two years were rainy and then it froze again and last year was another horrible rain and freeze winter. But I hope it won't be this year, because a lot of people slipped on the ice and had to go to hospitals. Most people wore grips for boots.

Yes I did.

Also, it has been my experience that, here in the UK, we have much less snow now than when I was a kid, around 50 years ago.  Precipitation may be increasing, but the extra warmth means it is more likely to fall as rain rather than snow.

Of course, my personal experience doesn't really matter; it's the data that gives the clear picture and for the UK, that picture is of warmer and wetter, with less snowfall.  In a couple of decades of so, David Viner will have been shown to have been correct.

And as I responded on this the last time, I did.

I also knew (because I looked it up, rather than posting something that doesn't say anything about the UK) that over those intervening years snowfall in the UK has actually gone done.

One of the issues with the UK is that it is one of the "dividing line" areas where there is more noise than signal.  There is so much variability across the UK from place to place AND year over year, that picking meaningful trends out of the data is difficult.

But overall, both "days with snow falling" and "days with snow on the ground" in the UK have trended down since he was quoted there.  And had been doing so for decades - which was the point the writer of the article (not Viner) was making.

------

@ RRR - No, actually it isn't increasing in the UK.