It is true that vitamin D protects against covid-19?

i'm reading this news in various articles, and a friend of mine (who has relatives in health care) says that it's absolutely so, and that in 80% of infected there is a deficiency of this vitamin.

is it credible?where is vitamin D found?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

Boston University Medical School reported on September 25, 2020

That there is "direct evidence that vitamin D sufficiency can reduce the complications, including the cytokine storm (release of too many proteins into the blood too quickly) and ultimately death from COVID-19"

sufficiency means "enough" - so it's saying if people have enough vitamin D they "can" reduce complications and death. 

Can is a very subjective word.

Also we know people not everyone who has deficient vitamin D do not have complications or die.

The study says that people with sufficient Vitamin D are 54% less likely to acquire covid and for individuals over age 40, are 51.5% less likely to die of the disease.

• 2 months ago

No, but lemon juice will prove good during covid-19 pandemic

• 2 months ago

Also lemon juice is good for covid situation

• 2 months ago

No, it doesn't give "protection." Vit D is an indicator of overall health, so with a rampant infection, it's only natural for those levels to deplete. There's no scientific evidence verifying that claim and the logic is backwards, just as it was for hydroxychloroquine. You can't assume a drug/vitamin helps stave off the virus by examining what patients with an active Covid infection LACK.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

still not true..........

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

yes it is true, most of the covid-19 patients

lack Vit D in their body

you get it from sunshine

• Rick
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I've heard that a couple of times, yes.  SO I'm taking it just in case it does work .................

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Your skin produces vitamin D if its exposed to sunlight.  It is also found naturally in dairy foods and is added to bread, margarine and breakfast cereals.  A shortage of vitamin D makes you more at risk of contracting virus diseases which is one of the reasons colds and flu are more prevalent in the winter.  If you have a balanced diet and spend time outdoors, you don't need supplements and taking excess vitamin D won't give any additional protection from covid.

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

They are saying the same here in the U.K.  no harm in taking it.

• donnie
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Even Fauci said that 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.