?
? asked in Consumer ElectronicsHome Theatre · 2 months ago

What is better to enhance the sound of a large 4 K TV, a sound bar, or a home theater system?

Lance; Really, I was under the illusion that sound bars, like BOSE, were where it's at lol!

Anon; I'm in the sort of £600 to £800 range.

4 days ago

I have a sound bar and am not impressed with it's ability to simulate 5.1 sound and it still would need a subwoofer added to get more base. It does not replace a 5.1 system.

in USD, a couple or 3 hundreds dollars will deliver nice loudfi crisp sound whatever you want to see/hear

visit a used upscale AV store,if they are still around,, warm weather makes a lot of people selling used but very nice equipment in their yards car ports or garages,if you are determined to get your setup for christmas,,visit a big store and listen to what they offer for 600 to a thousand pounds

First of all, forget Bose. Buy Other Sound Equipment is what their name should say. It's grossly overpriced cheap crap aimed at people with more money then sense.

'No highs, no lows, must be Bose.'

Your price range is pretty good for good quality audio gear.

There's a UK retailer I have researched, Richer Sounds, and with them, you can get a good quality AV receiver for under 250 Pounds. Like a Yamaha HTR 2071 or a Denon AVRX550BT.

Then, a 5.1 speaker set, such as a Polk Audio TL1600 set for 269 Pounds would go with that receiver, and you've got great sound, with far more depth than a sound bar, for under 600 Pounds.

• ?

you do know the difference dont you , 4k is the picture qaulity , sound bard only increases the sound while home theater sysem enhances the sound quality and volume .. yamaha make and excellent home theater , but you have to study the speakers too .

• ?

Hmm, to enhance the tv, I would probably get a 7.1 system. To enhance the soundbar, I would probably ensure it has an active subwoofer of at least 8'. And to enhance the stereo, I would make sure I had 3 way speakers, with at least a 12" woofer.

• ?

Soundbars are cheaper but will not give you discrete 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 audio.  They are really intended to be just a more powerful form of TV speakers and designed for efficient space use.  A surround sound system on the other hand is more expensive but will actually give you surround sound.  I have a soundbar I don't think it's worth buying the big fancy ones unless you don't have the space for a surround system.

• ?

A proper sound system is best for Any TV.  

Do Not buy a system that comes all in one box.  

Select speakers first, then a receiver to drive them. 

Which can you afford.

A decent $50 sound bar, or a $5,000 HTS?

• Lance

A home theater System consisting of a separate AV receiver,  and speakers from a well regarded speaker manufacture, strategically placed with in the room will sound better by far...How ever a sound bar is way more convenient...Soundbars can sound reasonably good but lets say we compare an entry level speaker system like the Elac Debut speakers and an entry level AV receiver from Denon and even the highest quality sound bar that money can buy at any price will have  great difficulty competing with the sound quality of that entry level system. A more advanced AV system will blow any sound bar clean out of the water ....