? asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 2 months ago

Is upgrading/repairing 10+ year old computers worth it?

You wont be able to upgrade or repair,

However. there are gaming fanatics who have old disks and defiantly would be interested.

They may be prepared to spend a right old sum, if they've got the disks.

There might well be specialist retailers.

""Disk's"" Systems.. 'Monitors, 

Good Luck.

I would do it. I'm using this old but powerful PC and I'm addicted to it, so many memories! :)

It would be very rare to get your money's worth out of such an upgrade.

• garry

depends on whats wrong and will it meet your needs ..if you dont mind using windows 7 and old programs then its worthwhile if its used for the latest game , then you have a problem .

depends on what you mean by "worth it"

• ?

It would depend on what needs to be done. The hard-drive would likely be the most expensive item, then the motherboard. When it gets to be 10yrs old, it quite likely will fail you when you need to use it most. Are you using a laptop, or desktop?

What is your operating system?? You must take all these things into consideration.

• TomB

Depends on the Computer, what it has for specs and what your intended uses for it are.

I have re-habbed a couple in that age range, with minimal effort, for the local water dept to use as Windows 10 office machines and saved them (including me as a rate payer) several hundred $$$$.

Depends on what you want to use the computer for. For gaming hell no, for basic web browsing and stuff then yeah they are perfectly capable.

Computers of 30 years ago that my classroom had (Apple II and IBM micro-channel with 16 color CRTs) were already faster than the human minds running them.  Since then, the difference in speed has gotten more extreme.  Most computers spend 99.99% of their time just waiting for input.  What takes time is getting information from storage (get an SSD) or calculations (expand RAM) or worst of all, Internet.  Get the fastest connection that you need at a price you can afford.

I have no problem with 9 to 12 year old CPU boxes and some laptops if well maintained.  But electronics age, and if not top quality to begin with, they will start to fail.  Better is to buy newer stuff if you need it to do useful work.  At least you will have a warranty for a while.

Software has gotten so much more complicated over the decades.  I started with punch cards in Fortran II, running them through an IBM 1620 overnight, and getting printout of my errors.  It was the only computer on my college campus.  No Internet yet, of course.  Now, a program is thousands of times more complicated, calculations run a million times faster, and we are disappointed if results are not almost instant.

My students used to ask about future computers.  I would say "implanted at birth, but repairs and upgrades will be painful".  I used to have hopes of a great future like that, but now I realize that will not happen.

Read "Limits To Growth" at www.clubofrome.org for free.  The 1972 report of computer models predicted a complete collapse of everything (economies, lifestyle, life expectancy, health, resources) by 2050 if no change to exploitation of the planet.  The graphs are still right on target for 2020.  So within 30 years, your children and grandchildren will inherit a disaster from us.  I will no longer be here to see that, but you might.  Better try to change your ways.

• Murzy

Don't put good money to bad. Get a new one.