Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 2 months ago

can a teacher say this to a student? ?

a teacher basically said to me that i’m gonna get nowhere in life and no college or work would want me and that i’m dumb and i’m going to get no GCSES 

• Orla

The question isn't if a teacher can say that to you. The question is do you believe it ?

I'm sure it wasn't said in those words. IT's your interpretation. What the teacher likely said was something like "You need to apply yourself more or you're not going to be able to get into a college." The teacher was trying to motivate you. SHow that teacher what you're capable of. 

This is what he/she basically said?  What did he/she technically and legally say?

Yes, apparently a teacher CAN and DID say this to you.

• donnie

That was not nice but I assume you’re not a innocent victim. She should not degrade you unless maybe you’re just being a terrible person. But you don’t even really need college depending on where you’re going and it’s a personal choice to go or not 

Is it moral, ethical, or nice to say something like that? No, but teachers are people too, we're only human. Every teacher who has been doing it long enough has had at least one student who he or she could say with one hundred percent certainty was going nowhere in life. We're not supposed to say that out loud, but it's obviously something that happens from time to time. 

Is it possible that a kid who's a total and complete buffoon all through high school, who's completely lazy, unmotivated, unfocused, and distracted might one day turn things around and buckle down and clean up his or her act? Sure, it's possible. But if you're a moron, you're always going to be a moron. Read a few books and you'll be a moron who's read a few books. Get a degree and you'll be a moron with a degree. 

It's not easy choosing a path in life that doesn't involve college, but it's not a death sentence. Learn a trade. Become a carpenter or a locksmith or a plumber, go into sales, start your own business, there are options. But if you get the impression that this one teacher is not the only one who has set the bar very low for you and is not the only one who lacks any confidence that you might make something of yourself on down the line, I'd take it to heart if I were you and get some thinking and planning done.  

• L

Trick question...

"a teacher basically said to me"... so apparently, yes.