Copying Floppy Disks using Windows?

Have a manufacturing machine that uses a floppy disk and which runs a program that looks like Dos. I have a USB floppy disk drive and if I was to copy the contents of the disk to a folder on my windows desktop and then copy the contents of the folder to a new disk on the usb floppy drive the machine will not recognise it. However if I copy the floppy A drive to A drive it will work. I have made sure that show hidden files is selected and each disk seems to have the same 16 files on them. This is bugging me as to why it will only work copying A to A. The plan is to replace the manfacturing machine with a gotek usb floppy emulator.

Use another USB floppy drive, plug both in, copy everything from one disk to the other. Done.

• Lv 7

you need a floppy cloner, not a backup or copy tool.

use disk mirroring software to make your copies and the issue will likely be solved.  there are hidden files such as device drivers which do not show via ordinary means, but may be required by the hardware in your machine.  [these are supplied by the machine's maker]  -- grampa

• Ron75

Sometimes copying to a hard drive will cause the files to have a different format. Sam thing happens when trying to make a duplicate of some DVDs. When you copy A to A you are just storing the exact thing on the disk and then copying it back onto another disk.

Ron