Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 2 months ago

Would 100% cotton bed sheets shrink on a 90 degree celcius wash?

I need to wash bed sheets at 90 degrees in my washing machine becuase of allergies.

thanks

If they don't say pre-shrunk, they will likely shrink, sometimes beyond the first time. Cotton shrinks, usually 3-6%. Linen shrinks too, but maybe not quite as much as cotton does. If you don't dry them too long and put the contour sheet on the mattress while it's still warm, it may stretch gently back out to fit. 

If you know how to sew and have access to a machine, you could buy the next larger size, wash them in hot water and dry them, then put on the mattress to see how much to re-sew the corners. That's what I'd do if I wanted Queen size, buy the King and restitch 2 corners after washing. And enjoy the larger top sheet. 

Another option is to use just flat sheets. If you tie the corner of a flat sheet, it will create a contour to fit the corner of the mattress, then tuck the knot underneath - I've always done that with my hide-a-bed & the bottom sheet stays just fine. 

• Clara

You would have to worry about shrinkage only if you're buying bargain basement substandard sheets because sheets that are up to American standards are woven with Mercerised cotton. This is a process which imparts a finish to the fabric such that if it shrinks, it's not by much.

Most likely shrink.

I suggest that test one bedsheet at that temperature to see if it does shrink. 

• ?

Why don't you buy pre-shrunk bed sheets.

Almost all cotton these days is pre shrunk unless it’s from a small cheap manufacturer

They might, but good quality ones are generally pre-shrunk.