? asked in TravelAfrica & Middle EastIsrael · 2 months ago

do they say the pledge of allegiance in Jewish day schools ?

When I was a kid going to an inner city ghetto school in Detroit, we would say the pledge of allegiance every morning.

My Jewish wife recently told me that when she was growing up, she went to a Jewish day school and they would sing Israelis' national anthem instead of saying the pledge of allegiance.

I can't speak for every private school in the US, but almost all of them do have the kids make the pledge of allegiance.  It is not required by law, but it is the custom.

That includes Jewish schools, Catholic schools, etc.  

But you knew that already.

• TNO

They do.

Full disclaimer: I'm a Jew who went to public school, and not a religious Jewish school for my primary education. However, with that said, I should point out that I went to Sunday School and religious nightly classes at a Jewish school to provide me with the Jewish education for students like me. This Jewish school was linked to my synagogue, which is one of the LARGEST synagogues in the United States. A synagogue that actually takes time to pray specifically for the United States, mind you. Furthermore, I was quite involved as a student with this synagogue, so naturally I knew what my peers went through even if I didn't go through the exact same programs. So it's with some great authority that I can say "they said it".

I do remember actually saying the Pledge of Allegiance in my religious school, though I can't remember if it was a regular thing during the night or on Sunday (I went in the 90s and 00s). I at least remember helping raise an American flag during a field day that we were holding, so that's something. However, ALL the classrooms had American flags in them, and there was a huge American flag in the auditorium. And, as I pointed out, we had a flag pole so we displayed our Americanness on the outside as well, outside of a very prominent and large Jewish synagogue.

In addition, I explicitly remember saying the Pledge everyday in a Jewish camp I attended one summer. It was for a leadership program that BBYO (a HUGE Jewish youth group) put on. I'm not sure if we sang Hatikva, Israel's national anthem, even once; but, we did have some Israeli/Hebrew-language themed events so it's possible.

Chances are, your wife may be misremembering things. For one thing, Hatikva is the national anthem while the Pledge of Allegiance isn't our national anthem, the Star Spangled Banner. Hatikva is not said everyday, even in Israel. A lot of Jews do take pride in Israel, so it is sung... but, more so for special occasions. And, this pride isn't supposed to take the place of our pride of Americans, even if she sung it everyday. It's just that Israel represents ~50% of Jews, and given our turbulent history we're just happy they're alive. But we're American too, and most American Jews are proud of that.

Edit: After reading BMCR's answer, I am reminded that saying the Pledge isn't something uniform worldwide and a lot of schools in America are abandoning the practice of having their kids say it. Actually, when I was in high school, we were given the option for "a moment of silence" instead of the Pledge of Allegiance and I bet, over a decade later, they no longer even have it anymore. And this was a public school were the Jewish population was, at best, double the expected amount in a random American sample (so, 5%).

Source(s): American Jew

Whites are our servans!

We are theyr masters and we take theyr Americane dollares.

We rich kevin!!!

You got a Jewish wife???

Your daughters must horribly ugly as hell

Rise your standards please

• BMCR

That's "Israel national anthem" not "Israeli's".

How do you know it was "instead of"?

I will say that in the Jewish day school I went to growing up we did *not* say the pledge of allegiance to the flag, but that is because we do not have such a notion here in Canada.

We also did not sing HaTivka.