I took the cover off my honda crf250r 2004  then adjusted the timing chain. Put everything back together. Now it's super hard to kick over. ?

Bike ran before. I haven't tried to start it yet. I'm scared I might damage something and  i kicked it over with a bit of speed and heard like a pop.

Sorry Not super hard But it became much harder than before

• adam

remove spark plugs . Now you can SLOWLY turn the motor with the kicker by hand. It should turn 360 degrees with ease. If you feel it get tight or seem to bind up STOP! However you say you kicked it already and heard a pop? Im thinking you have the timing chain off by one tooth. Do it over . Get a shop manual this time. 

Timing chain tensioners , especially plastic ones,  go out prematurely on Hondas.

You got timing off. , Do as adam sez so you don't bend a valve.  (my Honda 4 had juice  lifters) Usually, there is a dot atop cam  and one at bottom of crank sprocket. Dots on chain, too All has tp align when tensioner replaced,   U can sometimes slip chain a tooth or two at top without losing timing at crank. . Might require splitting cases to get all aligned, again. Maybe not. Too bad U dont have adjustable ign. timing on that model. U  could  set her at  TDC #1 cyl,  comp. stroke,  then see   if  piston   and TDC and valves closed. Adjust chain until it thy are.

I got my Toy 180 off, it "popped"  .No. "damage". But, it was a non-interference engine.

I took the spark plug out and noticed coolant on it. Then it was still hard to kick over. So I know its the head gasket. Coolant has leaked into the cylinder and is making it hard to kick over. I need to order a new head gasket.

Either gitcha some x-ray vision glasses or take it apart again. Rocket science.

• Barry

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Try to put the chain back to where it was. It sounds like you ballsed up the timing.