Anonymous

How do I leave a Christmas Temp job right before Christmas??

Taken on as Xmas Temp until January - its only part time and temp contract. They trained me on the job and it's quite complex but I have been offered a full time job - that is better pay and permanent. starting in a few weeks which means I'll be leaving just before Christmas ---- WHAT can I say when handing in my notice this week? They took us on because they were understaffed and we work very hard there and still understaffed - I feel so bad leaving now.....I'm scared to tell my manager this week? What should I say? 

• ?

Honesty is the way to go. 

Simply state that you have been offered a full time permanent job and therefore you are resigning as of date x. 

No one is going to blame you for accepting a good job offer!

You need to tell them now so they have time to train a new person ASAP. Just be truthful. The truth is never wrong

• L

YOU need to notify the temp. office - NOW!  Just be honest and move on.

You tell them the truth: that you have been offered an opportunity you cannot turn down and you regret leaving them earlier than expected, but that's not something you have any control over. Let them know you appreciated their training and their situation, but this opportunity is one you will not turn down. 

Don't feel bad. It's not all that unusual, and it's not going to damage anything; you've already got the better job. That's nothing to feel guilty about. 

Source(s): Worked in HR for 31 years.
  • ?

I'm sure this won't be the first time they've dealt with this situation. They are professionals, and I'm betting they count on some of the seasonal help getting better offers. Few people only need money for the holidays. Most folks who are working NEED the money all year.

Give your supervisor two weeks WRITTEN notice. If current company could offer you a full time job, they would have. They are looking out for their best interests, it's your job to look out for yours.

Congrats on the new job, and good luck.

I would be upfront and honest, but only give them two weeks notice.

• Eva

Simply tell them you've been offered a full time position and need to start on (whatever date). Also say you're sorry to leave them at such a crucial time, but that you need to take the full time position.  Note that any job is never "permanent". You're either part-time or full-time.

• Read your contract again carefully before you decide to quit. 

Don't feel guilty about doing what's right for you. 

Give them 2 weeks notice and a resignation letter. You don't have to explain why you're quitting. If you want to just tell them you accepted a better and permanent job offer.

• Ian

BYE! I've accepted a higher paying permanent job. What else can you say? Be honest and look out for YOU 'cause nobody else will.

• ?

You’ve got to do what’s right for you. I’m sure they’ll understand when you explain it.