Mark asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 2 months ago

Who is liable if you break a washer machine at a laundry mat from cramming to many clothes into it?

I feel like this would be the most common issues at laundry mats. Anyways, they have a video of me pushing a pillow into the machine and leaving. The machine starts smoking and it ripped my pillow all up. They told me the machines aren't designed for that and that i have to pay for a new machine. Not sure what the laws are on this.

• Willie

Take your clothes out and go elewhere to wash them, so tell no one about breaking the washing machine.

Obviously-you are! Pay up and learn.

• drip

Huh. I have washed bed pillows in my top and front load washers. No problems. I really don’t see how a bed pillow is not heavy. 

Go back take photos of all signs. 

But until they take it to court I would  not pay.  Who knows what shape the machine was in before you used it.

• Deane

Unless there are signs stating no pillows, blankets, or comforters then the laundromat probably does not have a case. You need to ask a friend or someone they do not know to take pictures proving either they do or do  not have signs stating their policy and do a load there so you have proof of no signs. I would also find another laundromat.

Was there a notice about maximum loads? or saying "No Pillows"? If there wasn't don't pay them a penny, and demand they pay for the pillow that their machine ruined.

And find another laundry

• Barry

Ask them for written proof from an independent assessor as to the cause of the failure. They would also have to show that you abused the machine. I doubt stuffing a pillow into a commercial machine would harm it. The onus is clearly upon them to prove you damaged the machine. How old is the machine? They don't last forever.