Mark asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 2 months ago

Who is liable if you break a washer machine at a laundry mat from cramming to many clothes into it?

I feel like this would be the most common issues at laundry mats. Anyways, they have a video of me pushing a pillow into the machine and leaving. The machine starts smoking and it ripped my pillow all up. They told me the machines aren't designed for that and that i have to pay for a new machine. Not sure what the laws are on this.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Willie
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Take your clothes out and go elewhere to wash them, so tell no one about breaking the washing machine.

• 2 months ago

Obviously-you are! Pay up and learn.

• drip
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Huh. I have washed bed pillows in my top and front load washers. No problems. I really don’t see how a bed pillow is not heavy. 

Go back take photos of all signs. 

But until they take it to court I would  not pay.  Who knows what shape the machine was in before you used it.

• Deane
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Unless there are signs stating no pillows, blankets, or comforters then the laundromat probably does not have a case. You need to ask a friend or someone they do not know to take pictures proving either they do or do  not have signs stating their policy and do a load there so you have proof of no signs. I would also find another laundromat.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Was there a notice about maximum loads? or saying "No Pillows"? If there wasn't don't pay them a penny, and demand they pay for the pillow that their machine ruined.

And find another laundry

• Barry
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Ask them for written proof from an independent assessor as to the cause of the failure. They would also have to show that you abused the machine. I doubt stuffing a pillow into a commercial machine would harm it. The onus is clearly upon them to prove you damaged the machine. How old is the machine? They don't last forever.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.