Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentConservation · 2 months ago

Should I support Zoos?

I've heard many good things like how they support conservation, education, and communities. Some, however, argue it's immoral. I don't see why a zoo that doesn't steal animals from the wild and gives them plenty of space and resources is immoral. 

• ?

On the one hand, all the animals in zoos either came from the wild or are descended from ones that did. On the other, some of those ancestors were too badly injured to survive in the wild on their own. Further, some of those species would be extinct if it were not for captive reproduction. The whooping crane and the California condor come to mind.

• ?

The majority of animals in zoos do not come from the wild, but come from other zoos and are born in captivity.  Some animals will eventually only exist in zoos because of loss of territory or poaching.