cool asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

To people who put their dogs to sleep, did you go inside with them or no?

With the love and devotion they have provided you for * years, it's the least you can do for them, to be with them and talk to them while they're being put down.

we decided to put her asleep. the vet went to get the injection i went to the toilet whilst we were gone she died with only my wife watching

You should always be with your pets when you put them down. They are already scared around strangers- let them have comfort of your presence. I lost it when I put my cat down, but the vet and staff understood

I did go in with them, it hurt like hell but I did it for my baby! she didn't deserve to die alone :/ 

• Sam

My dogs vet came to our home rather than putting our dog through the stress of carrying him to their clinic.

We were able to say 'goodbye'  

He got the peace that he greatly deserved after his long brave battle with cancer, his suffering finally came to an end. 

It was very sad but yet it was the right thing to do.

I think it would have been the choice he would've made for himself, and I think he would've even made the same choice for me if he saw me suffering with no hope of recovery.

He was a wonderful dog.. he was a better being than most people. 

I always hold them before, during, after.

When my dogs reach end of life it's after many years with me and there's no way I'm going to have them go on their own, I'm going to be there for them til the end.

I've also gone with the pets of others to comfort and hold them through the end.

• *****

My vet came to my home to euthanize my dog. I sat with her and pet her until the end. 

I have always stayed with them.  Til death do us part.  A life time commitment to the end.

• Sky

For two dogs and a cat, I went in with them and held them in my arms until they took their final breath.  We were in it together right until the end.  As devastating and gut-wrenching as that is to do, I wouldn't do it any other way.  I can't imagine just dropping a dog or cat off at the vet and leaving them there to be put to death alone.  That is the price we have to pay for the years of sheer happiness they give us, and it is our duty to be there with them in their final moments.

neither i had the vet come to my home to do the deed and yes I was present