Rotation of Tires?

I contacted GoodYear about the rotation of the tires and they recommended a cross pattern (Tires up front move to the back, Tires in back cross to the front). However since I am doing this myself I was wondering if moving the front tires to the back and the back tires to the front without crossing them is just as beneficial as crossing them? Reason being is I am only able to lift up one side of the car with a Jack and the spare jack which limits me crossing them. Btw front wheel drive. Any tips on this?

21 Answers

Relevance
  • zipper
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

By crossing the tiers it reduces the wear on them from making sharp turns. So it does do some good in exstending the tier life.  And doing the rotation yourself is tuff unless you have a good spair and that means that your going to move about twice as many times when you do it if you do it right!

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Rotate them weekly

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Tire Rotation Tire rotation, that is routinely repositioning your vehicle’s tires in specific patterns from front to back or side to side, is an important element of tire upkeep and safety. Additionally, rotating your tires may also be required to keep your tires covered under warranty.

• 2 months ago

Interesting that Goodyear are still saying that. The current thinking, supported by most tire manufacturers, is that you do not rotate them at all, but simply replace the worn pair as necessary. That way you only need to replace two at a time. 

The best tires go on the rear, whether it is front wheel drive or rear wheel drive.  So if you replace the fronts, move them to the rear.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • F
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Many tyres are designed to rotate one way only, so you can only rotate front to back not cross. 

As mentioned , rotating often means you have to replace 4 tyres at one go, rather than 2 at a time ,so some people prefer that.

If your car is AWD, back to front rotation is essential as tyres should have similar wear and hence overall size to avoid damage to the transmission.

• ?
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

get some stands jack the front up put it on stands then jack the back up. What does the owners manual say about rotation?

Most landcruisers like cross rotation as in it says to do it that way in the service manual.

• 2 months ago

i AM not A BELIEVER IN TIRE ROTATTONS ON A front driver AS THE BELTS INSIDE GET ACCUSTOMED TO ROTATE A CERTAIN WAY! iN OTHER WORDS THE rears ONES GO ALONG FOR THE RIDE AND THE front ONES DO ALL THE WORK! so REPALCING THE front pair AS THEY WEAR OUT WIL Give a smoother ride! Once you MOVER THEM the belts can change position and HARD to balance! 

• 2 months ago

You should never cross radial tires. Just fronts to rear and rears to front on the same side of the vehicle. If you cross radial tires the plies separate. 

• 2 months ago

You are supposed to switch radials like this:  move left rear to left front, left front to left rear, right rear to right front, right front to right rear.  Tires all have to turn in the same direction.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

thats all it takes .. usually the outer edge of fronts will round down ... you just want to take advantage of the less worn rears to maximize the tread life .. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.