Is my lemon tree dying?

I bought a lemon tree sapling this past spring from Home Depot. It grew and thrived quite well over the spring and summer and I brought it inside towards the end of September once it started getting colder. It has been in my room in front of the window getting plenty of sunlight but over the past several weeks it has lost all of it's leaves and now the very top of the stalk is turning brown. Is it dead? Is this normal? Can it be fixed? I've never took care of a tree before so I'm a little out of my depth 

Attachment image

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago
    Favourite answer

Yes, I think so. They can't stand draughts and sudden temperature changes from radiators, and hate over-watering.  It likes at least 8 hours south facing window light too. (Northern Hemisphere).  Also you need a dwarf variety to stand any chance if you don't have a big conservatory. See the commercial link below if you are keen on keeping a lemon tree indoors:

• 1 month ago

Cold damage and improper watering, namely watering too much, are common environmental conditions that may lead to leaf drop on lemon plants. ... Over watering – If your lemon tree is dropping leaves, another common reason may be over watering.

• snafu
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I would put it back outside, near the house for protection and warmth and wrap a fleece around it - obtained from your local garden centre.

• ?
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

i don't think they will thrive indoors

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

The tree requires much more sunlight than you can provide indoors.   If trees would grow indoors, people would have them indoors.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Lemon trees can't survive inside a house.  I suggest you transplant it into a bigger pot and move it outside.  If you get frost at all, the tree is history.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.